Stocking a 55 Gallon Freshwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natedogg569

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everybody. Just asking your opinion on what I should stock my 55g tank with. It is freshwater. All I have in their right now is 5 Zebra Danios and I am going to put a Bristlenose Pleco in it. The type of fish I want are fish that make the tank look cool and make people say "Wow what cool fish"

I'm partial to Giant Danios and Upside Down Catfish. You can google each and check them out. Both work well for a community.

Gouramis and their habits are fun too.

Cherry shrimp and ghost shrimp are always entertaining in groups.

A BGK grows far to large for a 55, they can reach 20" so best suitable for a 125+ as it takes years to reach that size. But eventually they can even outgrow that large of a tank. The main reason I would recommend a 125 is for the fact it's a long tank, and they can grow out in it, even at a larger size for years.

Aski247 said:
A BGK grows far to large for a 55, they can reach 20" so best suitable for a 125+ as it takes years to reach that size. But eventually they can even outgrow that large of a tank. The main reason I would recommend a 125 is for the fact it's a long tank, and they can grow out in it, even at a larger size for years.

I have a 150 and want a BGK. Would it be big enough for life? The tank is 6 feet long.

vanimal said:
I have a 150 and want a BGK. Would it be big enough for life? The tank is 6 feet long.

From all that l have read, the 150 is big enough. Wanted to add one to my tank & wanted to make sure it would be ok & seems to be according to several sites.

vanimal said:
Maybe some Hatchet Fish or Glow Fish

Im gonna move my balas & pictus in with the black knife and add a couple of severum. I want to move my tiger barbs in with them but am afraid they will harass the slower moving ones. The glo fish would add some nice color !! You could put a bunch of glo fish in a 150 lol

Last edited:
Aski247 said:
Unless the tank is 24" wide at posible full size is a no go... 20" is potential adult size. But... For many years it will be ok.

Its 18 inches

Neon tetras, black neon tetras, and harlequin rasboras are beautiful.

This is what I'd do
5 Danios
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Peacock Eel
1 African Brown Knife
2 German Blue Rams
2 Angel Fish
5 Hatchet Fish
4 Upside Down Catfish

Back
Top Bottom