stocking a 5g hex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just grabbed a Hawkeye half hex for a steal. Gonna be awhile till I set it up, so I'm just rolling around ideas here. It's gonna be mid-heavily planted with a sand bottom and a chuck of drift wood I have laying around. Aqua clear filter rated for a 10 g for flow and extra filtration. Running a single bulb t5 grOw light. I knOw I cOuld do a Betts, but looking for somEthing different though. Thought about a dwarf puffer, but feeding would be hard since I live just next to nowhere

Cherry shrimp or African dwarf frogs would do well in a 5 gallon. Or you could do a plants-only setup.

An awesome tank would be 4 Scarlet Badis and a whole colony of red cherry shrimp! That would look amazing with plants and driftwood!

Nils

Cherry shrimp or African dwarf frogs would do well in a 5 gallon. Or you could do a plants-only setup.

Actually, I'm going to take that back. An ADF might have trouble swimming to the top of a hex. They prefer wider spaces with shallower water. But cherry shrimp would be excellent.

No, they would only eat little baby ones, but there are so many born with each batch, only 25% of them would be eaten! The scarlet badis would probably snatch a juvenile shrimp every now and then, but other than that you should be fine, and I'd actually be glad if they ate some of the babies or else everything would be literally covered in shrimp! And then the scarlets are fed, too.

Nils

If you go with badis in that size tank make sure you only have 1 male.

Betta, small group of male Endlers, sparkling gourami, micro raboras.

I'm think of getting a scarlet badis or a male/female pair, but I know females are harder to come by. The endless are a good idea also.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You'd see more activity with Endlers, badis tend to be more shy.

Hmm, true. Anything off live aquaria is what I'm looking at. I have to order some Otos for my 36g so just gonna order all my stock off of it when I get it set up. Anything that jumps would be fine ad well as this tank is fully Inclosed.

Hmm, starting to venture off the live aquaria as I can't get a viable pair. Also started to look at Wild type Bettas such as B.Falx or Smaragdinq

Back
Top Bottom