Stocking a friend's tank..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ollief9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I'm helping a friend set up and stock his 15 gallon tank. He has owned fish before however has limited knowledge. He would like small shoaling fish which are hardy and easy to keep.

I was thinking;

6x Harlequin Rasbora
6x Glowlight Tetra

Swimming amongst assorted Cryptocorynes. It's a simple stocking scheme but I picture it looking great. My friend agrees.

Question is, are there any better choices?

Id prob go for 8x endelers guppys (as they stay small are mega colorful and a bit different.
And 6x black neons
Very striking fish in the right setup!

The best choice is whatever your friend chooses that's suitable for that size tank. If it were mine, I'd choose one species and get as many as I could that would be proper, and I think that would make a tank POP! :cool:

I really like harlequins, the males are way more colorful than the pictures on google images! They are copper and red and a little bit purple, all colors that complement green plants! I have never lost ANY, and I'm not a perfect aquarist!

I agree with LyndaB, take your friend to the store and have him choose. But in a small tank a large group of one kind of fish looks really nice. And the fish would be so happy with a big group of buddies.

I also keep Endler's livebearers in a nano tank and their small size makes the tank look much bigger than it really is, while also adding some amazing color. Honestly, I think Endler's are prettier than guppies.

gabysapha said:
I really like harlequins, the males are way more colorful than the pictures on google images! They are copper and red and a little bit purple, all colors that complement green plants! I have never lost ANY, and I'm not a perfect aquarist!

I agree with LyndaB, take your friend to the store and have him choose. But in a small tank a large group of one kind of fish looks really nice. And the fish would be so happy with a big group of buddies.

I also keep Endler's livebearers in a nano tank and their small size makes the tank look much bigger than it really is, while also adding some amazing color. Honestly, I think Endler's are prettier than guppies.

I definitely prefer them to normal guppys i also prefer them to the neon tetras that most add just because they are a similar size and are totally different in colouring!

I definitely prefer them to normal guppys i also prefer them to the neon tetras that most add just because they are a similar size and are totally different in colouring!

They also don't die as much as my neons do! I gave up with neons.

gabysapha said:
They also don't die as much as my neons do! I gave up with neons.

I did ok with my neons just prefer the colouration of the endelers and just like to be a bit different from the norm! Xx

Well as was mentioned above neons need good water quality and probably aren't the best for someone starting out with a smaller tank that will be less stable IMO. I would try either a nice sized school of ember tetras(not so easy to find but if you can they are amazing) some dwarf cories or ottos oe even with some endlers( my favorites are the chili and the snakeskin varieties).

My friend today suggested 4 platies and 6 cherry barbs.. thoughts?

keep in mind most "schooling fish" wont school unless there are bigger fish with them that are a threat. 4 Platies + 6 Cherry barbs would be good the barbs should school in that way, just get 1 males and 3 female platies.

yeah i thought so..

i'll tell him it's fine. he can't wait to set his tank up :)

Back
Top Bottom