Stocking Advice: 40B

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd do 15 or so Rummys. They shoal tightly and look great on larger numbers.

Also, Rummys need heavily planted tanks to feel safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I plan to heavily plant the tank, since I would love to maintain a big colony of shrimps.

Between the 2, which do you think will be more peaceful in a community tank? Also what would happen if there are no caves in the tank?

I think an apisto pair would be the more troublesome of the 2. With 3 or 4 peacocks I'd suggest only 1 male. They're interesting fish...not tiny or shy, good color.

Are the female peacock gudgeons color more dull compared to males? Would a group of 3-4 females be better if I do a pair of apistogramma agassizi?

Are the female peacock gudgeons color more dull compared to males? Would a group of 3-4 females be better if I do a pair of apistogramma agassizi?

Females are just as colorful with the addition of a yellowish belly.

My experience with apistos is in species-only tanks for breeding.

I bought 3 female peacock gudgeons so far they are active. And my shrimps are scare of them.

Congrats, very pretty fish! Mine did make meals out of adult shrimp but the tank wasn't heavily planted at the time.

So I decided to update my stocking list.
6 Neon dwarf rainbow
8-10 sterbai cory or Julii (can I have both?)
6 threadfin rainbow
3 peacock gudgeon (females)
9 neon tetra
15 rummynose tetra
1 male or pair of apistogramma agassizi
Is it too over stock? Or will there be any kinds of issues?

You probably won't be able to find julii...stores mislabel trilineatus as julii on the regular. I would suggest going with a single species.

This is a link that was given on another lighting thread I thought might be of interest to you. Now this link is comparing MH bulbs but whats important is that you can visually see the different "color" light that different Kelvin rated bulbs produce.

http://www.coralreefecosystems.com/ltg_bulb_color.htm

That's interesting, they do look similar.

Julii have fine spots, trilineatus have wormy markings, that's the easiest way to separate the two. Trilineatus is a Peruvian cory so they will fit into your setup.

Back
Top Bottom