Stocking advice for a 55 gallon Brackish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryghas

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I'm new here. I'm going to be starting a 55 gallon brackish tank for my beloved Dragon Goby. I'd like some second opinions on what to put in there as he loves company and is very peaceful. I was thinking Bumblebee Gobies and/or a Molly or 2. I like Knight Gobies, but it's one species my LFS doesn't carry very often. What are my other options? I'm flexible on gravity but would prefer it to be low-end. Thanks in advance for any advice given!

calfishguy said:
I would get a bunch of Mollies

Mollies don't need brackish... They can be in plain freshwater. And they would need a lot of filtration to keep that many mollies happy.

calfishguy said:
Mollies most definitely need brackish mollies are NOT freshwater fish.

No they don't. Mollies can live in freshwater, but they are more vulnerable to diseases and illness.
If the tank is cycled and we'll established and maintained, then I don't see why they would get sick.

I've collected mollies in both brackish and fully fresh, so I think they can go either way. Sheepshead minnows are another good brackish fish.

BBG's are tiny, I don't know how that'd work out. There are some killies that do well in brackish also but I don't know of any that are regularly found in pet stores.

I never said they were prone to desease I said that they will not live very long it's like outing fish in a non cycled tank

Mollies can survive in a freshwater aquarium but they prefer and are very often sold for brackish water aquarium.

Hi. Uhh, ok, then let's go off topic from mollies. I've been told guppies work nice. I could probably keep a few Bumblebee Gobies. Mudskippers are hard to find in my area. Red-nosed shrimp? Rainbowfish? Glassfish? Anyone have any experience with these? Small fish are ok; my Dragon Goby leaves even the tiniest of tankmates alone.

calfishguy said:
Mollies can survive in a freshwater aquarium but they prefer and are very often sold for brackish water aquarium.

How do you know they prefer? Can you talk to them? LOL. And mollies can be in both if acclimated slowly.

Ryghas said:
Hi. Uhh, ok, then let's go off topic from mollies. I've been told guppies work nice. I could probably keep a few Bumblebee Gobies. Mudskippers are hard to find in my area. Red-nosed shrimp? Rainbowfish? Glassfish? Anyone have any experience with these? Small fish are ok; my Dragon Goby leaves even the tiniest of tankmates alone.

Bumblebee Gobies would be cool.

I have a bumblebee goby in my fw tank with my Betta and he's happier then a mudskipper in a puddle on a dry day. He gets fed once every 2 days and he climbs everything from the heater to the glass, I actually caught him resting on the mast of his pirate boat. Oh the tank is a ten gallon also. Just keep in mind multiple color or dark rocks and with the bb goby you'll be playing where's Waldo in no time

buy a swarm of BBG, figure 8 puffer, if you want you can add mollies, and since its a 55 gallon maybe monos or scats. i think it would be cool to own a freshwater lion fish or wasp fish but i dont think they get along with other fish which would be boring cause i dont think either move much. there are also flounder but there is a lot of controversy on whether they are brackish or not and quite frankly i have no idea. some people say they only travel through brackish to get to salt or fresh. i like archers but i think a 55 is too small for them.

If you want a high success rate over the lifespan of your dragon, then keep only 1 dragon with no other bottom dwellers, such as BBG or knight goby. You don't want those fish to take bottom space. Good tankmate candidate are fish with max size of 4-5" or less.

Territorial fish are also not recommended.

I'm not familiar with mudskippers, but I see them living in a setup similar to Fidler or red claw crabs.

i dont think youd have a problem with bumblebee gobies taking up space on the bottom. im sure they will move out of the way of a dragon goby

BBG and KG are territorial. I don't think they will like the dragon messing around in their territory. KG can get nippy toward the slower moving dragon.

I've heard of all three being tankmates though. It was a very unusual circumstance, but I knew a keeper was more of an advanced hobbyist. Will this work for a year or two? Possibly yes IMO. Beyond 2 years without problems? No IMHO. The dragon will have grown very long by then.

Terrance said:
BBG and KG are territorial. I don't think they will like the dragon messing around in their territory. KG can get nippy toward the slower moving dragon.

I've heard of all three being tankmates though. It was a very unusual circumstance, but I knew a keeper was more of an advanced hobbyist. Will this work for a year or two? Possibly yes IMO. Beyond 2 years without problems? No IMHO. The dragon will have grown very long by then.

Bumble bee gobies are all show. They couldnt do damage to their own kind let alone a DG. Mine tries to act tough around ghost shrimp and when the come close he does nothing. I can not speak on behalf of KG but i have heard to not put them with BBGs.

Back
Top Bottom