Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Stocking advice for a 90 gallon

I think Iím going to replace my bosemani rainbow fish- mainly because theyíre kinda expensive and 2 of my best males just had unfortunate deaths and I think the females are super ugly
Any ideas what would look good and fit in well? I love love love German blue rams but my water is way too hard and basic. I did just see that Bolivian rams are a thing and seem hardier, maybe a good alternative? Was also thinking other cichlids or a Gouramis might look nice.
My tank:
90 gallons
2 cascade 1200 canister filters
Ph:7.8-8.2
Hardness: 15+
Moderately planted
2 angelfish
10 Odessa barbs
1 black red trial shark (if it wasnít for her Iíd get a knife fish)
3 dojo loaches
2 bs plecos
The current rainbows
Some snails

Some of my ideas, open to any suggestions, havenít done much research on so,e these:
Krinensis cichlid
Bolivian ram
A smaller (not dwarf) gourami
Rummynose tetras

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3111.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	312547
My bois:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2900.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	312537

Edit: that first picture wasnít my tank before, fixed!

Old 04-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your water is fine to keep blue rams just don't expect them to breed. If you are into that.

Bolivians are good too. I'd probably go Bolivian over Blue mainly because of temperature requirements. Blues are usually kept in 80 degree water. Bolivians can be kept in lower temps.

There's several types of dwarf cichlids you could keep. I'm not sure I'd trust a kribensis with some of your fish. They can be aggressive. But I wouldn't say it can't be done.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thatís exciting! Dwarf cichlids would be really fun! I donít know much about them though. Looks like they like little groups? Is 3 good or is a school of 5-12 better?
They seem different from African cichlids, but all look peaceful and beautiful!
Not sure if an opal one Gourami would fit in or look good.

Dwarf cichlids Iím looking at:
Bolivian ram
Gold dwarf ram cichlid (is this different?)
Badis cichlid
agassizi cichlid looks cool but I think my water is too hard.
Borelli cichlid (but looks too expensive and hard to get)
Old 04-05-2019, 12:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Again, I don't see the issue with keeping apistogramma in your water, they just won't breed.

What is your TDS?

Gold dwarf is just a different color variation of a German Blue ram.

Badis may require frozen food if you're ok with that.

Opaline is fine.

Borelli is an apistogramma the same as the Agassizi. Don't see a problem with either one in your tank but I wouldn't keep more than two male apistogrammas in your 60g. Might cause some aggression.

I don't see any problems with keeping the fish you are wanting. With groups of the same species you have to go with more females than males. You have to worry about aggression when spawning or paired up. S.A's are not like Africans where you load them up in a tank to curb aggression. They require their own territory to stay happy. If it were me, I would get one of each and put them together or several of one or two species tops in your size tank.

Just remember that each particular fish has its own personality. It could be calm or it could be a terror when talking about a cichlid. Be prepared to remove any overly aggressive fish and replace with another.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Not sure if you missed it but itís a 90 not a 60 if that changes anything
Iíve never gotten my TDS tested, but I know a lfs that will do it if itíll help. When you say several how many is that? I could go with Bolivian rams and bandis. I feed frozen occasionally and I guess I could add it in more often, would just make it difficult when Iím out of town. From what I read apistogramma are very picky about water conditions and like really acidic water, I could never keep even neon tetras alive for long until I planted my 29 and started using RO water.
Will continue thinking about Gourami as well.
I think I would need to add another large rock or some sort of cave structure to my tank for more territory since the pelvis and shark occupy the current pieces of drift wood (assuming only shark would be an issue) my Odessa barbs are also all of a sudden very shy and hiding instead of super active- thinking they need more coverage since the move. (From 60-> 90 that always had brown cloudy water from dirt-> clear 90)
Old 04-05-2019, 01:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry for the typo I meant 90.

Bolivians I would go 2f to 1m. They're hard to sex when young. I've heard of people keeping 1m to 1f and waiting for them to pair off. I've also heard that all male bolivians can co-exist with one another unlike Germans.

I don't know that much about badis to say how they should be grouped. I can look into it further.

I'd like to see what your TDS is to say whether you could have an issue with apistogrammas or not. I know for a fact they can be kept in alkaline water. Most are that are tank bred and sold.

I'd make more natural cave structures with wood and rocks. A few more plants wouldn't hurt.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks! Iíll try to do some research on badis. If I have 3 Bolivians and they pair, will the unpaired female be unhappy?

Iíll get my TDS tested when I have the chance.

Do you have recommendation of a wood or rock to use? Wood is cool but I already have some pieces in, the rocks I had access too weíre lacerock and I didnít want to raise my ph any further esp with plants.
The amazons are tiny rn theyíre regrowing haha, but Iím honestly having trouble finding plants that my dojoís and pelvis wonít dig up- as they are currently doing with the stem plants. Maybe I should add some silk plants for the meantime until they all take off...
Old 04-05-2019, 02:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The odd one out could be a target. Maybe that's why they group them 1m to 1f. Bolivians are supposedly loyal to one female.

Use an inert rock. A lot of people use quartz. Most river rock is inert. Avoid limestone. If you have access to river rock you could snag some for free.

You could plant Anubias and tie them off to your wood or rocks with fishing line. Some people use cotton thread as it eventually dissolves. Putting small stones around the base of your plants will keep your fish from uprooting them.

Nothing wrong with silk plants but live helps stabilize the water to an extent.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I do have some Anubius in there, doesnít give much coverage though haha. I guess I could just do 1m 1f pair that sounds fine.

Dwarf flag cichlid also looks like maybe a good option for my parameters, but they do get a little big but are said to be peaceful.

Inert rock! Yes! I will be checking out my local shops for some good pieces thank you, deff wanna try to make a natural cave or something to close off some of that space, unfortunately not very close to bodies of water here in suburban AZ.

Now that I look at them badis are pretty tiny arenít they? Probably not a good fit for this tank then.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:04 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Or go to your local landscaping business that sells rock and see if you can get some pieces you like.

Badis get about 3 inches. I wouldn't say they won't work with dwarf cichlids.

Tags
90 gallon, advice, gallon, stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com