Stocking advice for my 29 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterflyjenni

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 gallon which currently contains 3 glofish, 2 panda platy's, 2 variatus platy's, 2 spotted cory's, 1 German blue ram, 1 rainbow shark. I was think of adding some cherry barbs and/ or neon tetras. What do you think? Am I at my limit? Or can I add some? And If so which and how many?

The rainbow shark really needs a bigger tank than 29 gallons, would be best to swap it off for a couple more spotted Cory's. Otherwise, a few cherry barbs would be fine, and most likely hardier than neons.

I agree with toddnbecks that your rainbow shark should be in a bigger tank. how long have you had him? What size is he right now? 55 is the recommended tank size. I know you said on a different thread that you have no aggression, but I really wouldn't bet that it would stay that way forever.
The glofish should have a full school IMO and so the corys should be in a group of at least 4 IMO. If you filled out those schools, I think you would still have room for neons if you want or the barbs.

I agree with toddnbecks that your rainbow shark should be in a bigger tank. how long have you had him? What size is he right now? 55 is the recommended tank size. I know you said on a different thread that you have no aggression, but I really wouldn't bet that it would stay that way forever.
The glofish should have a full school IMO and so the corys should be in a group of at least 4 IMO. If you filled out those schools, I think you would still have room for neons if you want or the barbs.
The rainbow is about 3 years old and about 4-5 inches. Ideally he should be in a bigger tank but I dont have or plan on getting a bigger tank and he seems to be doing just fine in my 29.

butterflyjenni said:
The rainbow is about 3 years old and about 4-5 inches. Ideally he should be in a bigger tank but I dont have or plan on getting a bigger tank and he seems to be doing just fine in my 29.

Ya well he needs it, sorry, nobody want to hear it. I dont want to be a downer, and neither does anyone else, but your rainbow shark simply must be rehomed. Not to mention that if you add neons, theyd be eaten soon enough

To be perfectly blunt, it's not about you, it's about the fish. He's going to suffer stunted growth as well as aggression issues in a 29 gallon. Please reconsider and rehome him for his benefit, and ultimately yours.

I had one, he ate my school of danios. As they mature, so does their aggression level increase. I rehomed mind to someone with 125 gallons and wouldn't recommend anything less than 75 gallons for this species.

You need to up your corys to at least 5.

Different species have different requirements. Some need schools, some need larger tanks. It's really our responsibility to provide them with what they need.

There is great and experienced advice here that should be listened to.

There's no point in keeping aquaria if tanks are improperly stocked. It's about keeping the fish healthy and happy, letting them show you their natural behavior. To fulfill that, stocking a correct number of fish to complete schools and stocking fish that will live long and healthy lives is how to do it.
I know you don't want to hear about the shark but we are trying to help you and your fish. Please read the species profiles of your current and prospective fish to know if you are satisfying their needs. Just type their name is google and you will find plenty of info.

I understand that it's about the fish and that's why he's still in the 29 gallon because I'm thinking of him. I dont have anywhere to rehome him my LFS wont take him so either he stays in a 29 gallon or he gets flushed down the toilet. I figured he would prefer the tank :)

I rehomed mine using freecycle.org. I gave the shark to someone with 125 gallon tank.

There are many options other than a 29 gallon or flushing. C'mon...... nice try, but I'm not buying that you've really researched alternatives. :rolleyes:

There is great and experienced advice here that should be listened to.

There's no point in keeping aquaria if tanks are improperly stocked. It's about keeping the fish healthy and happy, letting them show you their natural behavior. To fulfill that, stocking a correct number of fish to complete schools and stocking fish that will live long and healthy lives is how to do it.
I know you don't want to hear about the shark but we are trying to help you and your fish. Please read the species profiles of your current and prospective fish to know if you are satisfying their needs. Just type their name is google and you will find plenty of info.
I research every single fish I buy before I buy it. It's not that I dont want to her about rehomeing my shark its just that I have no where to rehome him to. I did not buy him he came with my first used 20 gallon that I bought before I knew anything about him. I upgraded to a 29 gallon but I simply dont have the money or space for anything bigger. The glofish used to be a school of five but to died shortly after purchase and the cory's were the only 2 left at the store.

I assure you all that I am here for and appreciate your advice that's why I joined and am asking your opinion. I want my fish to be happy :)

It's evident that the person you got the shark from in a 20 gallon tank had not done their homework. However, once you adopted the shark, the burden became yours. I'm assuming that you also research fish that you adopt?

I'm not trying to be a hard-butt here, I'm just trying to understand......

I rehomed mine using freecycle.org. I gave the shark to someone with 125 gallon tank.

There are many options other than a 29 gallon or flushing. C'mon...... nice try, but I'm not buying that you've really researched alternatives. :rolleyes:
I honestly didn't think of freecycle. That's a good idea and one which I will try. Thank You! i'm sorry if I am a little defensive I feel a little as though I'm being attacked. I'm just trying to find out what's best for my fish.

Sometimes tough love is a little hard to take. But if we sugarcoat this kind of thing too much, then the right steps aren't taken.

Hey, at least Steve Ward's not involved and we're not televising this for an episode of Tough Love: Miami! :lol:

Sometimes tough love is a little hard to take. But if we sugarcoat this kind of thing too much, then the right steps aren't taken.

Hey, at least Steve Ward's not involved and we're not televising this for an episode of Tough Love: Miami! :lol:
I suppose you are right. I just posted on freecycle for the rainbow shark. I have a 5 gallon I was thinking of rehomeing the glofish to and adding a couple more. Do you think this is too small? I know they are avid swimmers. It would only be the 5 glofish in the 5 gallon. What do you think?

Personally, I like at least a 10 gallon for anything other than a single betta or shrimp. But you should see what others might think.

A group of glofish in a 5 gallon tank would be like putting a group of small children in a closet. Full of energy and want/need to move around freely, but nowhere to go. IMO 5 gallon tanks are worthless for anything other than a single betta or some shrimp. The water volume is too small to be stable, but bettas are hardy enough to handle the fluctuations in temp and chemistry. Shrimp simply don't eat/poop much, so they won't pollute the water very quickly either.

toddnbecka said:
A group of glofish in a 5 gallon tank would be like putting a group of small children in a closet. Full of energy and want/need to move around freely, but nowhere to go. IMO 5 gallon tanks are worthless for anything other than a single betta or some shrimp. The water volume is too small to be stable, but bettas are hardy enough to handle the fluctuations in temp and chemistry. Shrimp simply don't eat/poop much, so they won't pollute the water very quickly either.

That is a fantastic way of putting it!

Another re-homing option is craigslist. You can ask people what tanks they have to make sure the shark would go to good home. Sorry if you felt attacked, but people here care about fish and Lynda is right that if we don't tell people things bluntly then nothing gets done. :)

I would just like to let you all know that my rainbow shark has been rehomed to a person with a bigger better tank. Thanks for the advice :) Also I will not be putting the glofish in the 5 gallon they will continue to live in the 29 gallon :)

Back
Top Bottom