Stocking after cycle is complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joey6821

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How many fish can I safely add when my fishless cycle is complete? The tank is 75 gallons and I have been dosing to bring the ammonia to 4ppm. I hoping to add 5 or 6 corys, 5 serpae tetras and 5 lemon tetras.

Attachments

• 5557.jpg
    5557.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 63
Nice start, even though 6 is the minimum school size in a tank that size you can have (and I recommend) a larger school.

You could easily keep 10-12 corys, I have kept that many in my 75. Would have kept more but lfs has not gotten them in.

Same for the other species, lots of options in a tank that size. Smaller fish like small tetras look great the more you get. I have 6 Australian rainbows in mine (get 3" +), well I did but I had to empty it to reseal it.

I do plan on upping the numbers, but would 15 or 16 small fish be ok to add when cycle is complete? Then slowly add more each week, maybe 4 or 5 till fully stocked?

Being that your tank is newly cycled, might be a good idea to bypass the tetras for now and add fish that are a little tougher. Toolman mentioned Cory cats (fairly hardy) and Austrailian rainbows (practically indestructable) I agree would be good starters.
Watch the more durable fish for a few weeks, get proficient at your weekly tank maintenance, then add the more sensitive fish like tetras.
As for stocking levels of a fully cycled tank, it really depends on how much filtration you have as well as how much water you are willing to change per week. It also depends on the eventual adult sizes of the fish you stock.
Good luck

I would add around 10 fish and wait and see, but if you have been cycling 4ppm ammonia in 24hrs you should be good for 15-16 fish. After you add fish continue to check your levels than can add another smaller group each week or so. Most lfs won't always have 15-16 of the same fish so you could add two smaller groups as long as they are not full grown. Most lfs will order whatever you want. Google the various rainbows (turquoise, Bosemans, red.. Can't remember name), there are a bunch.

Thanks Reygan2, I am really happy with the way it's turning out.

10 it is Toolman. Seems like a nice round number to start.

Back
Top Bottom