Stocking and plant list ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiRoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
Stocking list
5 diamond tetras
6 gold barbs
10 kuhli loaches
6 cherry barbs
Plant list
Dwarf hairgrass
Water sprite
Tank is a 55g with a marineland emperor 400 filter. Substrate is going to be sand. Anything I should change? I would like to do some other easy plants just don't know which ones. Also how many of each plant should I get? And what is your recommended plant fertilizer?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I would not call dwarf hair grass easy. at least not for me when I tried. I think you will need some expensive lighting for it in a 55 at 21" deep.

I would not call dwarf hair grass easy. at least not for me when I tried. I think you will need some expensive lighting for it in a 55 at 21" deep.

+1 people often underestimate what it take for DHG to thrive. It's not an easy plant.

Caleb

Ok then that's off the list. Anything else I could put in plant wise? Also the stocking list is ok right?

Ok then that's off the list. Anything else I could put in plant wise? Also the stocking list is ok right?

Stocking looks great to me.

Plants much easier than DHG:
Water sprite(which is on the list)

Water wisteria

Java moss- tie down

Java Fern- super easy, tie down

Anubias- super easy, tie down

Ludwigia repens

Hornwort-grows like a weed under good lighting, tie down or let it float.

Amazon sword-this is a great, easy, background plant, needs root tabs.

Crypt. Crispatula(balansae)- crypts melt if you move them so figure out where you want it. It gets big and looks great. Needs root tabs.

Hygrophila corymbosa- nutrient hog but is a gorgeous plant that is easy to please.

Dwarf Sag- easy foreground plant that stays short.

Vallisneria- can be sensitive but easy to grow and trim it like you mow the lawn lol

Hope this gives you some plant ideas :)

Caleb

Awesome thank you! I'd like the tank to be moderately planted so I bet I'll do most of those! Also are any of those hard to get?

Awesome thank you! I'd like the tank to be moderately planted so I bet I'll do most of those! Also are any of those hard to get?

All of those are pretty common plants. Many are low light.

When I said the Amazon sword(middle) and Crypt(right) get big... This is with root tabs and a Planted+ light on a 75g.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436836382.505606.jpg

Have you looked into fertilizers? I'd suggest PPS-PRO by GLA for a tank this size. It will last much much longer than bottled ferts.

Caleb

Caleb listed all the easy plants I can think of right now, except anacharis ;) Really easy plant, grows like a weed and can be grown floating or planted. I dose API Co2 Booster an have LED's and it grows reeeeaaaaallllyyyy well. Definitely recommend it.

When it comes to easy plants you definitely need an Anubias. Here's my Anubias Nana.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1436833935140.jpg
    1436833935140.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 36
You were given a good list of plants. However, many of them ar ereally dependent on the lighting in the tank. What light fixture are you going to have?

I was looking at the questions on the site where I'm getting the hood ( Petco it's an aqueon deluxe full fluorescent hood ) and they are saying it is an 8000k full spectrum bulb. But I can get one that is 6500k. Sorry if this doesn't sound right this is all pretty new to me.

I was looking at the questions on the site where I'm getting the hood ( Petco it's an aqueon deluxe full fluorescent hood ) and they are saying it is an 8000k full spectrum bulb. But I can get one that is 6500k. Sorry if this doesn't sound right this is all pretty new to me.

That light fixture will cut down on the plants you will be able to grow a lot. I would stick to this list.

Excellent List of Low Light Plants

I love all of the suggestions but I don't know where to get any of them. I really only have Petco and petsmart around here. So if there are any good online plant stores I would love to hear about them thanks!

Never mind I'm going to have a lfs ship them in for me. I'm going to the fish I said and water sprite, dwarf sag, vallisneria, hornwort, ludwigia repens, Java moss and anubias nana. These are ok right?

Back
Top Bottom