Stocking and Snail Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oriana

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone! I am fairly new here and fairly new to fish keeping as well. Right now I have a 13 g tank with 3 platies in it. I also have a marimo moss ball and an anubais plant in my tank. I recently was advised to go visit a small fish store in my area and I was not disappointed! While there I saw some apple snails and totally fell in love! I hadn't originally planned on having snails in my tank and I don't have a concrete stocking plan set in place so I have a few questions.

1. Would an apple snail (or two?) work in my tank?

2. If I got some, would they over run my tank? I do NOT want a snail infestation.

3. Will the apple snails eat my plants? I love my little moss ball and would be really sad if my snails ate it! I am also looking to add more plants to my tank in the near future to replace the fake ones that are also in the tank.

4. What are some fish I can add to my tank that would do well with apple snails and platies?

Any information would be greatly appreciated, I am also researching them online, but there is so much information to go through so I was hoping to get some help here. Thanks!

Snails tend to over take tanks if you don't smash the eggs if it becomes a problem get an assassin snail and keep two of the apple snails in a smaller tank as backup. The assassin snail shouldn't irradiate all of the snails but incase it does the other two will most likely already have many more eggs before that happens

Sent from peliper

Hi everyone! I am fairly new here and fairly new to fish keeping as well. Right now I have a 13 g tank with 3 platies in it. I also have a marimo moss ball and an anubais plant in my tank. I recently was advised to go visit a small fish store in my area and I was not disappointed! While there I saw some apple snails and totally fell in love! I hadn't originally planned on having snails in my tank and I don't have a concrete stocking plan set in place so I have a few questions.

1. Would an apple snail (or two?) work in my tank?

2. If I got some, would they over run my tank? I do NOT want a snail infestation.

3. Will the apple snails eat my plants? I love my little moss ball and would be really sad if my snails ate it! I am also looking to add more plants to my tank in the near future to replace the fake ones that are also in the tank.

4. What are some fish I can add to my tank that would do well with apple snails and platies?

Any information would be greatly appreciated, I am also researching them online, but there is so much information to go through so I was hoping to get some help here. Thanks!

Hi, I keep apple snails and haven't had issues with any off mine eating my plant's. The only one that does that I own is a cana snail these are known to munch through plant's and get large!
Mine also haven't over populated as you need a boy and girl, I'm lucky to have separated mine. If they do have eggs they leave pinky sacs above the water line (they're pretty large ) and if you don't want babies you can easily remove this.
And remember they need to be fed too ;)
And I'd probably only go with the one :)
55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails

I recommend nerite snails - they don't breed in freshwater, so you don't have to worry about a population explosion!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks so much! I really love the way the apple snails look! Will the apple snails do well with other snails? Say if I got 1 Apple snail and 1 nerite? Is there anything I can do to make sure I do not get a Cana snail? I was reading that sometimes they are mistaken with the apple snails that don't eat plants.

I LOVE my apple snails ? I actually am trying to breed them. They are so cool I have five lol and the only snail I've ever heard of over populating a tank is pond snails. Apple snails can go with anything that won't hurt them so you could get an apple snail and a nerite but I've read that nerites will lay lots of little eggs every where but none of the eggs will hatch if they are in freshwater.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Thanks so much! I really love the way the apple snails look! Will the apple snails do well with other snails? Say if I got 1 Apple snail and 1 nerite? Is there anything I can do to make sure I do not get a Cana snail? I was reading that sometimes they are mistaken with the apple snails that don't eat plants.

Yes the both will be fine together.
Here's an pic of my cana snail it might help. 1424856065058.jpg

No problem :)

Back
Top Bottom