Stocking Bros tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
My brother wants to start over on his tank. Right now he has 3 silver dollars and kenyi. He agreed to get rid of the fish (start over) he has 20H. He isn't thrilled with community fish but likes cichlids. Any cichlid that can be in 20G?

Just dwarfs and shell dwellers really. You need to get those fish in his tank re-homed asap

Um maybe a dwarf cichlid. But some are very active and territorial. Especially when they start to breed... Maybe a pair of rams???

Ive read that rams need a 20L at least. I dont know how a 20H would do. But yeah I would just have a pair of dwarfs in a tank like that no more fish.

jakester334 said:
Ive read that rams need a 20L at least. I dont know how a 20H would do. But yeah I would just have a pair of dwarfs in a tank like that no more fish.

I bet a pair would be fine.

And also some schooling fish. Just a pair wouldnt be very interesting

There a handful of dwarf cichlids or small cichlids that could work in there, but he should really only put in like 2 of them which can be a fun tank, but he want more than just 2 fish and there aren't many more options if he doesn't like community fish. If he wants a cichlids only, I recommend shell dwelling cichlids of some sort. Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum lists out a few. The ones i have seen most commonly are L. brevis and L. multifasciatus. :)
Why doesn't he like community fish? Is it appearances, behavior, something else?
There are also Egyptian mouth brooders (*disclaimer: I don't have experience with them, but I have read multiple times they would be ok for a 20g), Julidochromis transcriptus, Inca Stone fish, golden dwarf cichlids, apistos, rams, Laetacaras, maybe a single of some other variety like a buffalo cichlid?
There are probably some other cichlid options I don't know about too.

A pair in a 20g high might be ok. I figured more floor space would be best for them etc for each of them to get there own territory. But if he gets a breeding pair then he'll have to watch there aggression when they start breeding etc....

Gboy66 said:
Just dwarfs and shell dwellers really. You need to get those fish in his tank re-homed asap

Would the LFS rehome them?? I might put them in my tanks until I get rid of them.

jakester334 said:

A pair in a 20g high might be ok. I figured more floor space would be best for them etc for each of them to get there own territory. But if he gets a breeding pair then he'll have to watch there aggression when they start breeding etc....

What are a good schooling fish??

absolutangel04 said:
There a handful of dwarf cichlids or small cichlids that could work in there, but he should really only put in like 2 of them which can be a fun tank, but he want more than just 2 fish and there aren't many more options if he doesn't like community fish. If he wants a cichlids only, I recommend shell dwelling cichlids of some sort. Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum lists out a few. The ones i have seen most commonly are L. brevis and L. multifasciatus. :)
Why doesn't he like community fish? Is it appearances, behavior, something else?
There are also Egyptian mouth brooders (*disclaimer: I don't have experience with them, but I have read multiple times they would be ok for a 20g), Julidochromis transcriptus, Inca Stone fish, golden dwarf cichlids, apistos, rams, Laetacaras, maybe a single of some other variety like a buffalo cichlid?
There are probably some other cichlid options I don't know about too.

Great thanks!!! I really don't know why he isn't to interested in community fish. I'm going to be researching all the fish above. I'll find out what he likes also. Thanks for all the suggestions!!!!

I dont really know man. I keep my GBR's in my 40g with angels,kuhlis and a bristlenose pleco. Dont really have a good idea what would be the best. But my GBRs swim mostly mid to bottom. So going from that maybe something that schools and swims up top outta there way might be ok......

jakester334 said:

20l???? Definitely need more then that... I was thinking your tank was 20gallons high... Not 20litres... That would work out to about 5 gallons so maybe just a betta...

Great thanks!!! I really don't know why he isn't to interested in community fish. I'm going to be researching all the fish above. I'll find out what he likes also. Thanks for all the suggestions!!!!
No prob. If possible, I suggest he takes a trip to an lfs to look at tetras though because lots of people say they aren't interested in community fish because they are boring, but then go see them and realize there are tons of cool ones to pick from. He may still not community fish and thats fine, but it wouldn't hurt for him to look. :)

absolutangel04 said:
No prob. If possible, I suggest he takes a trip to an lfs to look at tetras though because lots of people say they aren't interested in community fish because they are boring, but then go see them and realize there are tons of cool ones to pick from. He may still not community fish and thats fine, but it wouldn't hurt for him to look. :)

We should be going this week :D so I will do that but I'm going to be trying to narrow down on the fish. Bottom dwellers?? Angel would fit?

People don't agree about angels' minimum tank size. Some people say 20g, some say larger. Personally, I wouldn't put an angel in a 20g tank. But, some people do. If you want to, I suggest you try to look at an adult angel and see if you are comfortable with it or not. Some people are, some people aren't. Its up to you. Having an angel in there does limit your other stock options quite a bit though because of how big they are.

absolutangel04 said:
People don't agree about angels' minimum tank size. Some people say 20g, some say larger. Personally, I wouldn't put an angel in a 20g tank. But, some people do. If you want to, I suggest you try to look at an adult angel and see if you are comfortable with it or not. Some people are, some people aren't. Its up to you. Having an angel in there does limit your other stock options quite a bit though because of how big they are.

I know he liked them just wanted tank size and for my next community tank :D no for them! Crossed 1 off my list!!!

Have you looked at GBR at all? All you need is some fast schoolers for them to chase or just a pair of them by themselves.
What about keyholes... I think they are dwarfs...

jakester334 said:
Sorry when I put 20L wasnt meaning 20Liters. I meant a 20gallon long.

K but they should be fine. I wouldn't put any other bottom swimming fish in with them. I have a 20 set up and I could see a pair in there. I don't know if it's a high or not though... What are the dimensions of the op tank?

Fishie said:

Um maybe some barbs or cardinal tetras... The barbs night need more swimming space though. Mine swim all over the place... Rosaboras...totally Spelt wrong but I have never had them so idk

Back
Top Bottom