Stocking Community Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonata

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone who has been reading my posts knows how torn I am as to how to stock my 50 gallon. I jump from one thing to another.

Now, I'm wondering about a community tank.

I've had them before, but not without troubles.

I'd like compatible fish. No battles to the death.

I'd like a variety. ( larger, smaller, schooling, different colours, etc. )

There is a fair amount of turbulence in my tank & not many hiding places.

It is, as some of you know, a fun tank with neon gravel, bubbling clams & multi-coloured plants.

Affordability & common, easy to find species, is also important.

Suggestions anyone ?

Thanks for all your help !

Piranha... jk lol they are dangerous

I suggest glofish and diamond tetra, diamond tetra sparkle in the right lighting. Idk if its rare or not for u, they also need in group of 5, probably peaceful, prevent large fish.

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like glassfish too, they have transparent body and unique colour

Why not take the kids to the fish store and let them pick something fun. Shouldnt be hard to pick a stocking plan, just steer them away from african cichlids.

I just read through you other post entitled fun tank. what a neat idea. I like fantasy tanks as well as natural. How many grandchildren do you have. You could let each one pick their own fish at the store with help from you if they live close enough. I like smaller community fish and have neon tetras, glowlight tetras in the regular and the albino forms, harlequin rasboras, ember tetras . I also have a male ABN pleco, A lemon yellow #144 blue eyed BN pleco. And another I bought as a lemon yellow blue eyed BN pleco with no # . They are all relatively small I also have gold, and ivory mystery snails, nerite snails, and ghost shrimp. Everybody gets along, no fighting or fin nipping . even the snails are fun to look at when they climb the side, let go and fall to the next place they want to go to...The fancy goldfish I would think you could do 4 adults, 20 gal for the first and 10 gal for each additional one. Alison

Good idea about the grandchildren, but they would not take into consideration the limitations. ( décor, filtration, compatibility, etc )

Good idea about the grandchildren, but they would not take into consideration the limitations. ( décor, filtration, compatibility, etc )
Well then how about showing them some pictures?

Itd be easy to avoid anything that you wouldnt want but still give them what they want. Its hard if not nearly impossible to predict what children will like.

When i was a kid plecos were the coolest fish ever. A far cry from what you would expect kids to like.

Allison,
Thanks for your interest in my tank.

I have 5 grandchildren, ages 5 to 16.
You know what I am talking about.

I'd like my 50 gallon, if I go tropical, to be a combination of smaller fish.
Consideration would have to be given the décor
Filtration is good, but there is a bit of turbulence
compatibility ( I realize I may have many of 1 fish, but only 1 or 2 of another because they may become too aggressive in numbers )
I have had these fish in my community tanks in the past;

swords
guppies
mollies ( although I've not had much luck with these )
tetras ( neons are my favourites )
barbs
betta
gourami
corys
pleco
zebra
platy

I know I couldn't have all of these.
Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Allison.

Piranha !
That would solve my problem of choosing tank mates. :)
They use to sell them here. I don't know if they do anymore. In some places they have become illegal.
Not good for the grandchildren either. :)

Anyone old enough to remember that good old fashioned community tank ? Before parrot fish, glofish, etc. Before salt water tanks were even thought of.
Part of me would like to try that again.

Piranha !
That would solve my problem of choosing tank mates. :)
They use to sell them here. I don't know if they do anymore. In some places they have become illegal.
Not good for the grandchildren either. :)

U choose piranha? Whew, feeding would be expensive. My country ALWAYS sell piranhas when they are small and cost few cents or $, not yet illegal. However tbey still feed them goldfish which i told them that its not healthy, they say its fhe only food.

What do you have in your community tank ?

Archerfishes, 9 pacus, 7 silver dollars, 2 killfishes, honey/flame gouramis, *unknown fish*, 2 catfishes, 2 plecos, 2 alligator gar.

Archerfishes, 9 pacus, 7 silver dollars, 2 killfishes, honey/flame gouramis, *unknown fish*, 2 catfishes, 2 plecos, 2 alligator gar.

I certainly hope that you have a tank that's a few thousand gallons in size.

Kings-of-the-Tankbusters.jpg

Notice the Pacu on the right and the alligator gar on the far left.

I certainly hope that you have a tank that's a few thousand gallons in size.

Kings-of-the-Tankbusters.jpg

Notice the Pacu on the right and the alligator gar on the far left.

Nah don't worry about getting oversized ;) pond is ready for pacu (fits) and alligator gar will have home when they are big in my father's pond which a bit far from my house.

Haha, Sonata, this is too funny. Just earlier today I started looking into a community tank, too!

I think im going crazy, my dad bought 16 PACUS, i fainted when i saw it, total 25 PACUS omg

Back
Top Bottom