Stocking/filtration question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are once a week 50% or larger water changes in a 20 gallon long with an AquaClear 50 and a sponge filter rated for up to 40 gallons with 23-29 fish enough? According to AqAdvisor, I have enough filtration and it recommended 59% weekly water changes and that I might want to split that into two separate 35% weekly water changes. Is this accurate?

Are once a week 50% or larger water changes in a 20 gallon long with an AquaClear 50 and a sponge filter rated for up to 40 gallons with 23-29 fish enough? According to AqAdvisor, I have enough filtration and it recommended 59% weekly water changes and that I might want to split that into two separate 35% weekly water changes. Is this accurate?

At first glance that seems a lot to me. What kind of fish do you have in there?

Ann...

If you remove and replace most of the tank water in your 20 G every few days, you don't need much filtration. The filter system is simply filtering tank water that's already clean. There's no point in spending money on overfiltering the tank. Here's a suggestion: Change out at least 60 percent of the tank water every 4 to 5 days and just keep the sponge filter. Test the tank water every couple of days to make sure the reduced bacteria is working. I change out most of the water in my 55 gallon tanks every few days and use a dual sponge filter for filtration and a Whisper 10 for aeration. The fish are active and healthy.

B

At first glance that seems a lot to me. What kind of fish do you have in there?

Currently I have 6 cardinal tetras, 4 lemon tetras, 2 Celebes rainbows, 2 platys, a Kribensis, a horseface loach, and an oto. However, I plan on adding 1 more cardinal Tetra, 2 more lemon tetras, 3 more Celebes rainbows, 3 more otos, and possibly 6 green fire tetras and I might rehome or trade-in my 2 platys at my lfs.

You'd be way overstocked with that list. You've already asked this forum in multiple ways about the stock on your tank, and keep ignoring the advice. The loach gets too big to be comfortable in the size tank, and you'd be looking at massive water changes just to try and keep levels close to safe. You're just brewing a disaster if you add even more fish to this tank, and your fish will suffer.

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?...AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My lfs told me the horseface loach would be fine in my tank. This lfs has 4.6/5 stars on Facebook and Google so I thought I could trust them to be a good lfs.

Anna im not trashing your lfs. But many here have gave our opinion on the stocking. Were not making any money off of you . Your lfs is......

Back
Top Bottom