Stocking for 30 gallon aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I have 2 tanks currently

A 10 gallon with 3 red platys, 1 guppy, 6 neon tetra, 1 mystery snail and 4 ghost shrimp

Then I have a 1 gallon tank with a few ghost shrimp and I'm getting live plants for both tanks as well.

Well obviously I want to go more "fish" and we found room for like a 30 gallon near my bed. I can't decide what to do. I have thought of one option which is making it a community tank and moving over my fish from my 10 gallon to my 30 gallon and adding onto it, while making my 10 gallon a medical tank. My other thought was to make it a cichlid tank stock it with some convict or African cichlids.

Which idea sounds better? Btw I am 14 and I'm doing this all by myself AND I LOVE FISH KEEPING!!! Sorry went overboard again

Bobjoefredsky said:
Ok I have 2 tanks currently

A 10 gallon with 3 red platys, 1 guppy, 6 neon tetra, 1 mystery snail and 4 ghost shrimp

Then I have a 1 gallon tank with a few ghost shrimp and I'm getting live plants for both tanks as well.

Well obviously I want to go more "fish" and we found room for like a 30 gallon near my bed. I can't decide what to do. I have thought of one option which is making it a community tank and moving over my fish from my 10 gallon to my 30 gallon and adding onto it, while making my 10 gallon a medical tank. My other thought was to make it a cichlid tank stock it with some convict or African cichlids.

Which idea sounds better? Btw I am 14 and I'm doing this all by myself AND I LOVE FISH KEEPING!!! Sorry went overboard again

You could do :
3 platies
3 guppies
8 neon tetra
2 Bolivian rams or german blue rams
1 mystery snail
Ghost shrimp.

Samzter said:
You could do :
3 platies
3 guppies
8 neon tetra
2 Bolivian rams or german blue rams
1 mystery snail
Ghost shrimp.

Thanks I almost completely forgot about ram cichlids they are quite

I would say do two schools of 8 fish such as cherry barbs, zebra danios, or basically any kind of tetra.

Then I would put in something as a centerpiece such as a dwarf gourami or a pair of rams.

And to finish it off, for the bottom, a BN pleco.

Your Cichlid options are limited in a 30 gallon as the majority of Africans need a 55 minimum. Another idea would be this: you could have 1 convict in there (but only one) with a school of 10 tiger barbs. You could possibly make a BN pleco work if you introduce the convict as a juvenile and put it in last.

librarygirl said:
I think the fish in the 10 would be happier in the 30; it's pretty cramped in there. :)

Really? I'm aware I'm a bit on the borderline, my dad agrees and he's willing to get me a bigger tank. It's not about the ammonia but the activeness of the fish in this case

Back
Top Bottom