Stocking For a 40 Gallon Tropical Community Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could also group all the schooling fish to one type. That is always very entertaining.

Scratch everything i just said, i changed my mind again lol. I really want an Asian themed tank now, With Cherry Barbs and Harlequin Rasboras with some YoYo Loaches. As a centerpiece, I was debating on a Betta or a Honey Gourami. I want a Betta, but I will just try him and see what happens. I have a spare tank in case everything goes haywire. If that doesn't work, I will get the Gourami. Any other asian fish suggestions guys? Also, how big of a school of the Barbs and Rasboras could I keep?

Rummy Nose Tetra!!! I love them you can tell by their color if they like your water or not! It's very helpful. Whenever they start to get dull I do a partial water change and they get colorful again. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402685945.127462.jpg

Rummynoses are nice as well, but i have heard even worse on them when it comes to sensitivity.
Guys, Could I replace The Sparkling Gourami With a Honey Gourami? I think it would be able to compete for food a lot better, and would be able to stick up for himself.:fish2:
Ive had rummy noses before and in my opinion they were doing great, I haven't had any experience with them being sensitive.

40 is a good size. Don't over complicate your stock. See what you really like and get them. I really like my synodontis petricola. I've also got a clown pleco that is comparable in size to a bn, but I think prettier. Also, consider ember tetras. Very pretty in a large school.

Betta are meant to be kept alone. I wouldn't put one in as he'll likely try to kill everything in the tank.

Angels do get pretty huge (tall) and I personally wouldn't put one in a 40g. Suggest at least a 24" tall tank.

The gourami will also eat tetras when it matures, and grows to around 6". You could get a dwarf gourami male and a couple females. Don't put more than one male in your tank unless you have multiple females per male.

Barbs, rasboras, tetras, schools of five or more. Yoyo loaches also need a group of five or six.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ive had rummy noses before and in my opinion they were doing great, I haven't had any experience with them being sensitive.

They only time I notice them being sensitive was when I was cycling my tank, and only had four. They were actually very helpful cycling the tank I knew if something was off before I got the chance to test the water. They're more comfortable in a group larger than seven so I added four more, and haven't noticed any sensitivity.

Back
Top Bottom