Stocking for my 56 column :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright I need some help. I got a 56 column (STOKED!!!) that I am unsure what to stock it with.
I currently have:
6x Buenos Aires Tetras
2x South American Bumble Bee Cats
1x Banjo Catfish

Adding Soon:
2x True African Leaffish

Wishlist:
Medium-large Gourami
Angelfish
African Butterfly Fish
Hatchetfish
Celebes Rainbow Fish

I understand all of these fish are not compatable. That is kinda a would be cool list. So suggestions are more than welcome! If you have a cool idea not on my list please suggest! The only non-negotiables on my list is the Leaffish and bumble bee catfish.
Thanks and God bless!

Most leaf fish are predatory ambush fish(which is why they look like leaves) and will positively destroy almost every fish you want. They have BIG mouths! If you want freshwater(be 200% sure they are freshwater) bumble bee gobies, why don't you do a group of them and 5-6 Indian Dwarf Pufferfish?

Most leaf fish are predatory ambush fish(which is why they look like leaves) and will positively destroy almost every fish you want. They have BIG mouths! If you want freshwater(be 200% sure they are freshwater) bumble bee gobies, why don't you do a group of them and 5-6 Indian Dwarf Pufferfish?
Well I want big fish this time plus I have a few non negotiables on there.

Yes, I know you have non negotiables but leaf fish will eat bumble bee cats They are just too small to last long. So if you want expensive feeder fish, go ahead. But know that the cats will disappear one day. You could do Leaffish and only Leaffish. But in all seriousness, sometimes you have to give up something you want. One of your non negotiables wants to kill the other.

Yes, I know you have non negotiables but leaf fish will eat bumble bee cats They are just too small to last long. So if you want expensive feeder fish, go ahead. But know that the cats will disappear one day. You could do Leaffish and only Leaffish. But in all seriousness, sometimes you have to give up something you want. One of your non negotiables wants to kill the other.
They are 3 inches long and the leaf fish are gonna be maybe 3.2......

I know that, but I've seen photos and videos of these fish eating other, live fish a couple inches long. I'm not kidding when I say they've got BIG mouths and are highly predatory

emerald76 said:
I know that, but I've seen photos and videos of these fish eating other, live fish a couple inches long. I'm not kidding when I say they've got BIG mouths and are highly predatory

+1 wanted one in my elephant nose tank but I have cories, these guys are predatory saw it my self at my lfs didn't realise their mouths were that big lol soon changed my mind! But they are cool fish.

I have had a leaf fish for about a month now and he does not bother a single fish, I have angels, gurami, rainbow shark, black ghost knife, and an African catfish, all of mine are babies, I think you will be fine as long as the other fish are bigger and can't fit into his mouth

Ok well the best I can do is hope the bumble bees are ok. I got a pair of angels and a rubber lip pleco today. All babies but so are the leaffish :)

What kind of schooling fish could I have with the leaffish and the angels? Also would an african butterfly fish work?

The butterfly fish should be ok just as long as the other fish are smaller and don't go near the top, the butterfly fish can be territorial at times, but they only stay at the top of the tank. My leaf fish usually stays at the bottom of my tank but my angels sometimes migrate to the top of the tank. So just observe your fish to make sure they don't go up to the top that often.

The butterfly fish should be ok just as long as the other fish are smaller and don't go near the top, the butterfly fish can be territorial at times, but they only stay at the top of the tank. My leaf fish usually stays at the bottom of my tank but my angels sometimes migrate to the top of the tank. So just observe your fish to make sure they don't go up to the top that often.
Oh so even the large fish could cause issues with the buterflys?

Yeah those fish are considered community fish only if no one else nip at there fins and goes on there turf and the temp should be around 80 ish

Basicly they can be put with fish that are the same size or bigger, the butterfly fish only stays at the surface and rarely goes down more that a few inches. But if you have fin nippers, then they won't be getting along with the butterfly.

Back
Top Bottom