Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2015, 09:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Stocking from nature

I live 15 minutes from the beach and this is a very marshy area. So I have ocean, brackish marsh and river environments all within minutes of my house. I am planning to set up a tank in the near future (55-75 gallons), but I am undecided on whether to make it brackish or FW (saltwater is out of the question with my experience level). I was wondering if it would be ok to use beach sand, beach driftwood and even some aquatic plants from the area (the plants would be from the marshes, which I have behind my house). I realize the danger that these materials may come with parasites, etc., but would you do it? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-16-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sand is generally quite illegal to take from beaches. Nobody really cares about driftwood though.

So yes to driftwood, no to sand, yes to plants, and you generally need a license to collect any fish.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, thanks. I was not going to collect fish, though. I did not know about the sand. My kids carry pounds on their flip flops it seems.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also depends on who owns the beach or marsh. Some state owned sites are protected and you can't remove anything. We have a preserve above me that isn't well posted and if you didn't know better you wouldn't know. Its a huge fine to remove any fauna or flora from the area.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-16-2015, 10:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know we can remove certain things, like dead sand dollars (they have a sign). I would never remove live animals, though. I will ask about the sand. It is a public beach.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar23 View Post
I know we can remove certain things, like dead sand dollars (they have a sign). I would never remove live animals, though. I will ask about the sand. It is a public beach.

Typically they ship in loads of sand from wherever to "rebuild" the parts of the beach that the ocean has wore away, so the sand itself is likely not protected like on beaches around the country( like Hawaii), but they may have an issue with it because they spent the money on it.
Most beach sand is what they call sugar sand anyway, it's obviously very light colored and super fine so it may not be the best choice in an aquarium. If you want the light color, you may just want to imitate it with pool filter sand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-16-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
Typically they ship in loads of sand from wherever to "rebuild" the parts of the beach that the ocean has wore away, so the sand itself is likely not protected like on beaches around the country( like Hawaii), but they may have an issue with it because they spent the money on it.
Most beach sand is what they call sugar sand anyway, it's obviously very light colored and super fine so it may not be the best choice in an aquarium. If you want the light color, you may just want to imitate it with pool filter sand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That may be, although this beach is on an island (I live on an island) and sea turtles use the dunes to lay their eggs. I am going to skip the sand and just buy the substrate. Thanks for all the input!

Tags
stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com