Stocking/grouping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joey6821

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
No aquarium yet, but I think I am ready to finally get one. So my question is does this stocking work? I read that certain kinds of fish are happier/better kept in groups. Does this grouping work? Will the the green, albino and tiger barbs group up? Same with the corys, will the pepper and panda corys group up? Also, will long finned serpae tetras be ok with the barbs. Thinking all this will go in a 55 gallon tank, but how much would the stocking be able to increase if I went to a 75 gallon tank? Thanks in advance for any help and opinions.

Attachments

• 55 gallon.png
    55 gallon.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 46
I used to have an albino red-tailed shark and a red-tailed shark with cichlids and tiger barbs. After removing the aggressive cichlids, the red-tailed shark became dominate and chased everyone, removed him and the previously docile albino chased everyone, removed him and the tiger barbs became nippy. They had all lived together and the cichlids ruled, but once the tank stock changed they all reverted to natural behavior. So be warned and watch for aggression if you go with this stocking.

That was in a 75, but my wife and daughter have tiger barbs in their 55 with guppies, tetra's, platys, swords, and minnows ( I know these fish don't belong together, they refuse to listen) and have had few issues.

Last edited:
Did you see the red warnings on aqadvisor? If not I believe there were some there, but that and my bad experience doesn't mean it's not possible just be ready to rehome.

The only warning was the red tail shark jumps so the tank need a top.

OK, but many here will warn against tiger barbs being nippy and sharks being aggressive so beware. Like I said we've had mixed results with the barbs. The two sharks were cool, I hated to get rid of them but love my livebearers and they were too aggressive.

Whatever you do consider upping the #'s in both groups of Cory's, I have 8 pandas & 8 peppered and wish I had more. Two of my favorite fish.

Red tail sharks are nasty aggressive don't let a fish store tell you differently, I had one in my 55 with all community fish, he chased and bullied every fish in the tank, I rehomed him with my convicts and he chased THEM until one day..... Well you can guess lol

Let's just say pebbles (red tail) met Frank (convict) Frank had enough and pebbles lost his head

If you want to save yourself a headache with constant fighting you can heavily plant and decor the tank so the shark has a hiding spot and line of sight is broken by plants or I would personally not get the sharks and just up the stock of the others

Red tail sharks are nasty aggressive don't let a fish store tell you differently, I had one in my 55 with all community fish, he chased and bullied every fish in the tank, I rehomed him with my convicts and he chased THEM until one day..... Well you can guess lol

Let's just say pebbles (red tail) met Frank (convict) Frank had enough and pebbles lost his head

If you want to save yourself a headache with constant fighting you can heavily plant and decor the tank so the shark has a hiding spot and line of sight is broken by plants or I would personally not get the sharks and just up the stock of the others
[emoji6] see I'm only half crazy. Lol
But seriously sharks can have attitude, and the bad stories won't stop at 2!

Lol.. I have A 6 for 125g and had at one time a Dempsey and red shark that used to cruise the tank being a harassing 5 inch crazy fish.. He used to come from behind the Dempsey and scar him from HIS spot under a rock Ledge.. I woke up one morning too see his red tail sticking out of the Dempsey's mouth.. So much for rehoming

[emoji6] see I'm only half crazy. Lol
But seriously sharks can have attitude, and the bad stories won't stop at 2!
Yeah he was a little jerk man lol but the convict just had enough be was like (Jaws music my rump) chomp

Back
Top Bottom