Stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Neons that are left are really thriving now. I added more fake plants and they all are loving the hiding places and I think it helped a lot stress wise. I'm keeping up with regular water changed and my algae eater has really cleaned up my tank. Question is, what can I do now? I don't want to add too many, but I'm wondering what else I could have. I hate to have the swordtail all alone. He is the only one that is. But I think I need a centerpiece fish? Any suggestions?

I'm not fully sure on your total stock right now but a swordtail, platies, and an algae eater (pleco I'm guessing) would put you at about the max for a 20 gal. If you're looking for an entirely new dimension to aqua keeping I'd highly recommend trying out live plants. There are quite a few low light low maintenance types that can do perfectly well at minimal cost. Once you go live you'll never buy a fake plant again! :) Honestly plants becomes practically more fun than the fish themselves at times. ;)

Edit: Thinking about it more if you rehomed the pleco and swordtail you could easily do a honey/dwarf gourami and/or a German blue/Bolivian ram. Just some colorful options for you, but I would not add them until your tank's stock is lighter.

Ok thanks so much. I'm rejoining the pleco as soon as I can get some nerite snails. I don't live by a store that carries them so I'm waiting until I need to go there for other things besides a snail! Lol. So when I do that he is definitely bein transferred into my boyfriends 55 gal. That leaves some great options. Thanks!

My recommendations

I recommend a school of platy or guppy. Black-Skirt Tetras are nice too. Maybe add 2 ADFs and a molly? I would pick one of those 3 options I just named.(y)

Back
Top Bottom