Stocking help for a 40g Southeast asian tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosoxlobsterman

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm moving to Boston in a couple weeks, am getting rid of my 36 gallon corner in favor of a 40g breeder (done up with a DIY background), and want to set up a southeast asian biotope tank. I've done a bit of research on it, but can't decide on a few things. Speculative stock below:

5x kuhli loaches
8-10x cherry barbs
X ghost shrimp
Pentazona barbs or checkered barbs

Plants (want to go heavy)
Crypts
Java fern and moss
vallisneria
Apongeton
wisteria
rotalas (red)
pogostemon helferi (downoi)

Ideas? Suggestions? Really can't decide between pentazonas or checkered right now...

Oops, just realized this is in the wrong thread... How do I move it to Freshwater: General Discussion?

Done, for future reference just PM a mod or hit the 'report' button on your thread and explain that you would like to have it moved.

I'm not really a barb person myself. I do think you could get away with another compatible bottom fish or two, or conversely some type of mid-top like guppies assuming the barbs are compatible (have not kept them together so I'm not sure).

I was also thinking about bumblebee gobies later down the line, but I know they do much better in brackish than fresh, so I had kinda nixed that idea.

Maybe some Y. sidthimunki (dwarf chain loach)? Anyone with experience or how many to keep?

Yoyo loaches resemble dwarf chain loaches and are less expensive.
Did some research, and so they are! I hadn't realized DCLs would be so expensive... might try to find some at a local store rather than buying online, but if not, Yoyo's look pretty cool, too!

What about sparkling gouramis? Been dying to get some. They are awesome!!
Mmm! I've always secretly wanted them, but don't tell my Paradise Fish or Three-spot... they'll definitely be an option once my tank matures a bit.

They're really hardy.
Yoyos are hardy? or the sparking gouramis?

Anyway, did some budgeting, figured once my tank is all set up (my canister filter is mature and rated for 65 gallons, apparently) I can stock the following with one order and keep it under $100 with shipping (writing it all down really trims and changes the stock :huh:):

Livestock
12x white cloud mountain minnow - $10.68 - Native to streams of the White Cloud Mountain, apparently now only found on Hainan Island :ermm:.
10x cherry barbs (already have 5) - $8.95 - Native to Sri Lanka (but I already have 5 plus I love them :)).
5x Odessa Barbs - $13.45 - Native to Myanmar (aka Burma); fun fact, they were only scientifically described in 2008.
5x Brilliant Rasbora - $8.95 - Native to southern Thailand, Peninsular Malaysia, Singapore and the Greater Sunda islands of Borneo and Sumatra.

Plants
4x - Cryptocoryne wendtii - $6.80 - Native to Sri Lanka (Hey, I have cherry barbs...)
4x - Rotala indica - $6.80 - Native to India (at this point, proper research had given way to laziness... if there's a Rotala that's closer to Thailand & the such let me know :))
10x - Vallisneria asiatica - $8.00 - Native to... "asia" any help?
3x - Java Moss - $7.68 - Variable species... Native to "southeast asia"

Hopefully I can find some DCLs or Yoyo's, and some Kuhli Loaches once I'm moved into Boston!

Oh man, where to start.

Dwarf Chain Loaches are awesome but very expensive. To be honest, I'd just replace them with the Black and Orange Kuhlii and call it a day. You won't really see the Kuhliis to often but great fish none the less.

I'd stay away from the Sparkling Gouramis unless you keep a smaller Biotope tank. They can easily be out competed for food (especially by Barbs). Great, beautiful fish, just maybe not for this setup.

Odessa Barbs will be a purchase you won't soon regret. I've kept them for years and the males have quite possibly the best color of freshwater fish. Or at least the best reds.

I wouldn't worry about white clouds (I may be wrong but I believe they are relatively cooler water species). And also, the Cherry Barbs will get outshined by the Odessa's. The Checker Barbs are a great contrast and have a beauty all their own. Although, I admit I've already forgotten the tank size :) ooooops.

As far as plants go, look for various species of Crypts. Great plants that vary in color, texture, and size. Mixing some Crypt Wendtii (Bronze, Red, and Green) with some Lucens and Crispatula can give you some great variety right then and there! Add some Rotala Indica for some mid-back ground plants and you got yourself a tank!

Let me know if you have any questions :) :) :)

Predfan27 said:
Oh man, where to start.

Dwarf Chain Loaches are awesome but very expensive. To be honest, I'd just replace them with the Black and Orange Kuhlii and call it a day. You won't really see the Kuhliis to often but great fish none the less.

I'd stay away from the Sparkling Gouramis unless you keep a smaller Biotope tank. They can easily be out competed for food (especially by Barbs). Great, beautiful fish, just maybe not for this setup.

Odessa Barbs will be a purchase you won't soon regret. I've kept them for years and the males have quite possibly the best color of freshwater fish. Or at least the best reds.

I wouldn't worry about white clouds (I may be wrong but I believe they are relatively cooler water species). And also, the Cherry Barbs will get outshined by the Odessa's. The Checker Barbs are a great contrast and have a beauty all their own. Although, I admit I've already forgotten the tank size :) ooooops.

As far as plants go, look for various species of Crypts. Great plants that vary in color, texture, and size. Mixing some Crypt Wendtii (Bronze, Red, and Green) with some Lucens and Crispatula can give you some great variety right then and there! Add some Rotala Indica for some mid-back ground plants and you got yourself a tank!

Let me know if you have any questions :) :) :)

Agreed

Predfan27 said:

:
Fair point. If care is taken when feeding it could work out but I agree that it could be a point of concern.

If you are up for the challenge see if you can get some downoi(pogostamen helferi). Awesome little foreground plant from Burma I believe.

I was looking for some downoi online earlier, but couldn't find any... Of course my computer blew its graphics card last week some I'm on a loaner that I'm not loving so I quit kinda early.

As for Odessa's with cherrys, I originally thought about checkered barbs or pentazona with them, but Odessa's were cheaper and they are beauuuuuuutiful, so I didn't really mind :)

Basically the idea for this tank came from my last tank (horribly eclectic with no rhyme or rhythm) when I adopted some black mollies & the contrast between them (never really liked mollies) and the cherrys (love!) was great. That and my live fish store had some kuhlis and I fell in love with them, too (too bad I'm moving soon I'd run back and grab them!).

But kuhli's are definitely part of the plan as soon as I get all set up. Thanks for the tip on the gouramis though :)

Ooo, I also priced out lucens and spirulata but I was trying to get my entire order through one place so shipping wouldn't get too expensive

Check AquariumPlants.com

They will have Crypt Crispatula, Crypt Lucens, Crypt anything really. They will also have the Helferi. They can be a bit pricey in shipping but I would go overnight. I've lost many a plant in 2 day shipping.

Also, their special this month is buy 3 bunch plants, get a 4th free!

Check AquariumPlants.com

They will have Crypt Crispatula, Crypt Lucens, Crypt anything really. They will also have the Helferi. They can be a bit pricey in shipping but I would go overnight. I've lost many a plant in 2 day shipping.

Also, their special this month is buy 3 bunch plants, get a 4th free!

Yeah, I priced out AquariumPlants.com, along with thatpetplace and Foster & Smith. F&S was overpriced on pretty much everything, but thatpetplace had better prices the aquariumplants on almost all of the plants I was looking at. Anyone had experience with AP vs. TPP?

Definitely will! I'll probably go back to aquariumplants and re-check, though, if they're having a 3 for 4 sale...

Wow, just browsing aquarium fish online, and a couple of these guys may have to fit into my aquarium at some point... just beautiful :)

Attachments

• Devario-auropurpureus-1.jpeg
    Devario-auropurpureus-1.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 93
Just want to give you a heads up on the P. Helferi... it needs a good substrate. It comes in small tiny pieces and is very hard to get planted and keep planted. Loaches can absolutely drive you nuts pulling it loose. It does not do well when continuely re-planted and I have found even with a nutrient rich substrate (organic dirt) and dosing ferts PPS-Pro with extra Iron Cleate you can have new growth problems. For some this plant just melts and thats it. I've gotten it from Aquarium Plants and Extra Plants and by far what you get from Extra Plant is far better. First it comes in little plastic containers with a few pieces, from Aquarium Plant you get a "piece" for each one you order. The thing with Extra Plant is you have to contact them to arrange for overnight shipping before placing your order so they can explain how you need to do it. Another thing is they ship your order in styrofoam boxes, which in heat or cold keeps your plants so much better. Aquarium Plant wraps their plants better but if it's really hot or cold you can still have some issues even with overnight. With Extra Plant I get overnight shipping with 10:30am delivery. It is $55. So I place big orders. With before 3pm delivery it is $40 something. Personally I would opt for an easier forground plant unless you are a very advanced plant aquarist. My PH from Aquarium Plants was pretty much a bust, the ones I got from Extra Plant are filling and and growing quite well, and I did finally get the iron right so new growth is green not white.

Back
Top Bottom