Stocking Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Walkbreathe

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok i have a 17G tank which is stocked with:
1 male betta
4 julii's
3 amano shrimp
4 otos
Until recently it was also stocked with 6 neon tetras however last week i found 1 of them swimming on its side on the top so i removed it from the tank and put it in quarantine to monitor it, however the next morning it was dead. A few days after this even i noticed the other 5 neons with what looked like fin rot, so i removed them from the tank, placed them in quarantine and began to treat them. However since then (over the last 5-6 days) another has died and the other 4 have developed what looks like a very lumpy body i now believe this to be neon tetra disease from what ive read especially as the treatment seems not to be making any difference. Anyways in light of me not expecting any of the neon tetras to recover i wondered what i could replace them with? im looking to avoid tetras but would like something that swims throughout alll levels of the water as what i have bar the betta are bottom dwellers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Sorry about your neons. You probably just got bad stock. You could replace them with harlequin rasboras, though I'm not sure of their tank size requirements.

They might but it depends on your betta. I tried to put my betta with platys and he did not like them at all. If yours is peaceful you may be able to do a few.

Yeah he's pretty peaceful not had any trouble with him even with Shrimp. Can anyone think of any alternatives to what's mentioned so far? (sorry just want to get as many options as possible so I can have a good luck when I go to me lfs next week)

Ime swordtails get too big and have a huge bio load, are you put off tetras completely or just neons because they all died? Because id had the same problem with neons but I've switched to lemon tetras and glowlight tetras and haven't lost a single one in the 6 months I've had them. Just a lot hardier species than neons

Mainly just neon tetras, so maybe another type of tetra would be my best choice?

Yeah same effect just different colours the lemon and glowlights grow to the same size as neons too so you can just add the same amount you lost without over stocking or worrying about bioloads etc

That's sounding like my best option then, I'll have a look what choices my lfs has in when I go next week. Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom