Stocking idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leek86

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right Ive got a filter cycling in my fathers community tank, so it'll be ready to set up my tank in a month or maybe a little longer.
After asking a few questions on here about bn plecs ive decided i'd like to try one.
The tank is 65 litres (17g)
My proposed stock for the tank is

BN pleco
School/shoal of galaxy rasbora
School/shoal of either cardinal tetra/neon tetra, glowlight tetra or chili rasbora (mosquito rasbora)
3 Small corys, panda or hasbrosus
1 Betta hopefully crown tail

Does this make me overstocked, understocked or at full capacity?

I'll be running a fluval u3 which has a flow rate of 600 litres per hour. How ever I am considering buying an external filter to free up the tank space the u3 would use.

leek86 said:
Right Ive got a filter cycling in my fathers community tank, so it'll be ready to set up my tank in a month or maybe a little longer.
After asking a few questions on here about bn plecs ive decided i'd like to try one.
The tank is 65 litres (17g)
My proposed stock for the tank is

BN pleco
School/shoal of galaxy rasbora
School/shoal of either cardinal tetra/neon tetra, glowlight tetra or chili rasbora (mosquito rasbora)
3 Small corys, panda or hasbrosus
1 Betta hopefully crown tail

Does this make me overstocked, understocked or at full capacity?

I'll be running a fluval u3 which has a flow rate of 600 litres per hour. How ever I am considering buying an external filter to free up the tank space the u3 would use.

temperament will depend on the individual betta. But if you do want a betta, have another tank to put him in if he's not friendly with his tank mates.

What if i was to switch the betta to a gourami of somekind?

I would go with one school of more fish versus trying to house several in a tank that size. Anything that can fix the rasboras/tetras/boraras in their mouths, might. Betta or gourami included.

What would you reccomend as a "centre piece" fish if i were to stay away from the gourami and betta?

Cardinals red line goes all the way along the body and I think theyre a tad bigger.

Cardinal
4c6bb6e0a7557.jpg

Neon
neon_tetra-16.jpg

Me too, the extra lil bit of red makes them seem alot more vibrant.

So back to the initial idea of thread, is that too many fish for the tank? Room for more, or max capacity?

After thinking about it, although id like a bn plec im not sure if i'll get it since the tanks barely big enough, I think instead I may get a lil gang of corys

Been to a lfs store today and saw some rummynose tetra's, I thought they got bigger than cardinals but the label said 4-5cm max which is about the same for cardinals isnt it?

So Would I be able to have a school of rummys rather than cardinals or neons?

Instead of cories I'd get otos. Just a personal preference. Some lfs's say only get one but online they say get a group. I have three in my 10 gallon (started out with one, following the advice of my lfs) and ever since I got the additional 2 they've been more active.

I dunno, ive had otos before, even got them to breed, but I hardly ever saw them.

Back
Top Bottom