stocking ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovemydragongoby

Aquarium Advice FINatic
okay so with my new 55gal i have moved my fish from my 20gal. i'm doing daily water changes to make sure the parameters are fine. all the decor is the same and i put the filter from the 20 on the 50 so everything is basically established. but what i need to know what else can i put in the tank? it won't happen right away, give it a few weeks to a month to make sure everything is okay.

here's what's in there now;

1 black ghost knife
6 albino cherry barbs
4 dalmation mollies
3 otocinclus

now i'm thinking of possibly these if i can find them;
3-5 kuhli loaches
1 fork tail loach/spiny eel loach
5-6 von rio tetras
5-6 rainbow fish-not sure what kind yet

my boyfriend wants something that stands out, maybe something yellow? i can't think of anything. anyone have any ideas?

Not too sure on adding the others from your list except for the von Rios. I LOVE mine!!!

As for other yellow options...have you considered sunset platys green fire or lemon tetra. The platys are yellow, orange and black. They are very striking. The lemon tetra have just a flash of yellow. But the greenfire are really pretty.

Buy Live Green Fire Tetra Paracheirodon innesi

Also, to consider in the yellow option area...

Congo tetras
http://www.twoofakind.info/images/fish/freshwater/Male-Congo-Tetras.jpg

or my newest drooly favourite. Sanshoku swordtails (koi)
Sanshoku Swordtail picture by FURYOKIDS - Photobucket

those green tetras really are pretty. we're trying to stay away from the platy/swordtail/molly/guppy look lol. we've got enough of them in our 80.
we're just trying to find a filler type of fish. something that will stand out. i saw this fish at one of my lfs...a blind cave fish it was weird looking, i remember seeing a show on discovery channel for those guys so i dont understand how they could have one in with other fish because the water params are quite different. but it seriously had no eyes. and it was basically the color as my albino cherry barbs but probably about 2 1/2 inches long

we've been trying to find a good lfs but none of them have had anything that stood out to me. i saw some yoyo loaches but i heard they can be fin nippers. they were only about 2 inches long...not even

anyone else have some ideas. we're either trying to find something weird looking so to speak, or a schooling fish.

blind cave tetras are so very weird :D i've seen them at both my LFS as well. they are indeed a tropical fish and would be fine in the same parameters as your other fish.

as far as schooling fish, i like tetras and rasboras. espei rasboras are very cool, and a little more unique than the harlequins. my favorite tetras right now are ember tetras--i don't have any, have been looking for some, but they are gorgeous, and would definitely add color to your tank. severum mama and HN1 are selling some albino black neons, and they look so cool. (i think they also have the espeis http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f25/fs-beautiful-community-fish-128373.html ) their cochu's blue tetras are pretty awesome too

i would def buy from them...except i dont live in the states, i'm in manitoba canada hehe. but i'll def look into those fish you suggested

Keep in mind that the black ghost knife is going to get pretty big and will eat any of the fish that will fit in its mouth. They can be semi-aggressive so I would be careful. Basically it's going to be a trial and error with him when it's bigger.

yes i realize that, that's why i was thinking of a loach or something. out of the month and a bit that we've had him, we've lost 1 molly...she just disappeared lol. other than that he leaves the others alone, pretty much keeping to himself in the his new tower.

does anyone have any suggestions to what else i can put in my tank?

i added 3 kuhlli loaches last week. i was surprised that i do actually see them around.

so here is the stock list as of now
1 bgk
6 albino cherry barbs
4 dalmation mollies
3 otos
3 kuhlli loaches

i looked around some of my lfs for the fish that were suggested before and i couldn't find anything.

I'm from Winnipeg myself, but live in Switzerland! Which stores at home have you tried?

-M
I've been to the ones basically in my area, I live in St James, Fintastics, Pets 101, Best West Pets, Pet Traders, Petcetera, and I've looked at Pet Land but I just can't justify buying fish from them. I know I need to get down to the other ends of the city. I wanted to check out Pet Smart but its a far drive for me. I'll have to go down town to check out some more places

Back
Top Bottom