Stocking ideas? 20 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

th08tu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everybody,
I have a 20 gallon tank currently with 5 guppies, and 2 cories. It is heavily planted, and fully cycled. Any ideas on any additions I can make. I would prefer something different from guppies, but other than that I am open to pretty much anything.
Thanks!
Tyler

hey I like all those ideas. Do you think I can cheat on the inch a gallon rule a little bit because of having plants? Like could I go with like 1.5 inch per gallon or dare I say it 2 per gallon lol?

the 1 inch per gallon rule is not very accurate.... does that mean a 20 inch fish is okay in a 20 gallon aquarium? i think the best way to stock is to closely monitor water conditions while slowly adding fish, not too amny too quickly that is. and look at some other members tanks. see how much they fit into their tanks. that should give you a good idea on what is too much. i think 3 spot gouramis are nice looking... especially when they are nicely fed for awhile..( i find the pet stores never have the fish as well fed as they could be)

OK that makes sense Evilameba. Also I will have to look into those Kuhli Loaches, as they seem to be pretty popular.

hahaha, patience, I haven't even got a chance to get the the LFS yet. I will update soon with pictures lol.

hey so I went to the LFS yesterday and picked up something I though was a little different. I got a red eyed puffer! Before you guys freak out I did read up on them before I got it and I think it will be good for the tank because it will keep my guppy and snail population down, which is starting to get out of control. Since the tank is heavily planted it will be able to hide if it feels threatened, and same with everything else, so I think it is a good choice. If it doesn't work out with it I always have a spare 10 gallon that it could be put into. Anyways I put it in and it hasn't gone after anything, actually it is pretty shy, and everytime I walk into the room he hides, so I figure he is still a little uneasy from the trip home. Anyways I will update with pics later on.

sounds good! they need some salt ecpecially when they get older( most brackish fish are born in fresher wter and gradually move into saltier water as they get older) i had one for a long time with 2 mollies... never hurt them.. in addittion to snails they also like to eat crayfish. just to let you know.

Alright sounds good. So far it is doing pretty good, my snails seem to be disappearing, but I am not sure it they are hiding or the puffer is getting them. He hides a lot but when I do see him he is usually throwing a snail around, or just sitting under a rock. It is actually pretty funny to watch.

cool puffers are aswome im thinkin about putin a dwarf puffer in my spare 10 gal.:] got any pics

yeah I am at work right now but next time I see him (i decided it is a male since i don't know how to sex it) out I will take a pick for you. He is actually pretty funny to watch swim around, and bug the snails. I have one big apple snail and they seem to have an agreement to stay away from eachother because they are always on opposite sides of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom