Stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codefox

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It's gonna be a couple weeks before I actually start stocking the tank with fish, so I've got plenty of time to revise the list I'm working on, but here's what I have so far. I've come up with a couple possible lists since I'm not sure if the first one I really would like to do is really viable

4 Angels
10 black neon tetras
10 serpae tetras
6 corys

I eventually am thinking of maybe addig a few hatchets once the tank is more established. I'm a bit concerned that the Angels will eventually outgrow their tankmates and turn them in to snacks, so the other thought I've been having :

6 Angels
4 Rams
6 Corys

Part of this really revolves around the fact I've never really kept angels and would really like them in here. The other thing that I've been toying with a bit more is discus. From what I've read, I could keep them with any of the tetras I wanted...I'm not sure exactly how to measure the size of a discus though in terms of fish per gallon.

The second list is far more "friendlier" than the first. Though I would do 4 angels as opposed to 6. Makes the decisions when they eventually pair up easier on them and you as you will have to remove the "odd" man out.

I woudl avoid Serpaes with Angels. They tend to be nippy tetras and those slow moving big finned angels make a good target. Black neons might be fine as they do get bigger than standard neons. Emporer tetras might be a good option.

How big is this tank? Cories and rams can probably coexist but need lots of ground to be separate. When Ram's start to breed they take over the bottom.

It's a 55 gallon tank. That's my only concern with the rams...because this is going to be a heavily planted tank as well. The rams would tear that apart, wouldn't they? I was really hoping to do some schooling tetras just because I've helped so many people over the years set up their tanks with bright pink rocks and watch them put in just pairs of schooling fish. Drives me nuts ;) Looks like if I want to do that, I'll need to go with discus. But I'll put that aside for the moment.

4 Angels, 4 Rams, 6 Corys...would hatchet fish still be alright in this set up? Seems like I still have some room here for more fish ;) And if the rams are going to tear up my plants, then back to the drawing board. This is making me nuts...but this tank is gonna be perfect! :)

Rams will never tear up your plants. In fact, it is advisable to keep them in planted tanks because they appreciate the cover.

I think hatchets would be fine, but if you want fish that aren't so delicate, I would suggest pristella or gold pristella tetras. They are hardy and very peaceful, and they will not nip angels' fins. Or, IMO you could probably get away with the black neons. As tkos said, they do get larger than neons. :D

if you do decide to keep neons or whatever type of tetra it would be best to add the tetras first and let them settle in for you add some angels.

tkos said:
I woudl avoid Serpaes with Angels. They tend to be nippy tetras and those slow moving big finned angels make a good target.

Though the Serpaes are known fin nippers, if you get a large enough school (I have 6), they will leave the angels alone. I have just that type of set up in my 75 gal (Angels, Serpaes, GBR's) in my 75 gal.

Take a look at the pics in my clicky. :)

Hmm, somehow didn't notice the emperor suggestion too. That would be a better, if not harder to find, choice ;) The pristellas are pretty too, so if I don't seem emperors around, maybe I'll go with those instead.

Maybe I'll just go with one school of 12 Emporers/Priscillas, 4 Angels, 4 Rams and 6 Corys.

I don't know why I didn't think of these before...red eye tetras would be a great choice to go with the Angels.

4 Angels x 6 = 24"
10 Red eyes x 3 = 30"
4 Rams x 2.5 = 10"
6 Corys x 3 = 18"
82"

A little overstocked, but the tank should be able to handle it I think. Now to just pick the plants and start cycling it on Monday.

Back
Top Bottom