Stocking ideas for 55/g gold ram community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piratechest

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys,I am currently doing a fish in cycle. I'm going to my lfs tonight for some hearty fish for the cycle. Anywho I plan on stocking a pair of gold rams in a couple of months. Any stocking ideAs? I'd like to have 2 small schools. Any hearty schooling fish? Thanks
Ps, please don't hassle about fish in cycling.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Make sure whatever you get can handle the heat. Cardinal tetras work. Temp should be at least 82

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Doing a fish in cycle with rams? ☆Disregard, i miss read

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Nope, I'm adding the rams when cycled as stated in the body. Any suggestions?

Whoopsie, my bad, I see rams and fish in cycle in the same paragraph and.. cardinals would be a good higher temp shoal, rummynose are my fav though.. school very tight, you could rock about 35 in that tank and it would look pretty amazing..

Every source I've read lists 80 F or so as the max temp that Rummys can take, yet I constantly come across accounts of folks using them with discus at 84-86 F. So apparently they're good to at least somewhere in the low 80s.

Unlike most corys, Sterbai can take low 80s. I wouldn't exceed 82 with them, but they're definitely doable with rams at the low end. Some of the smaller plecos, including Clown and Zebra, are also temp-compatible with rams.

Don't get tetras, they're delicate and will die easily during cycling, I recently did a fish in cycle with cherry barbs, I recommend those or danios

Don't get tetras, they're delicate and will die easily during cycling, I recently did a fish in cycle with cherry barbs, I recommend those or danios

Mehh.. quality stock could take a well done cycle in a 55 gal..
Op- can you get seeded media? Where do you live?

I have a question, currently I have a 29 gal planted tank with a penguin 200b filter. I have 3 zebra dainos from when i started, 11 harlequin rasboras, 6 ghost shrimp and prob 11 cherry shrimp. I want to get a pair of german blue rams to add. If possible I was alos thinking of adding 6 neon tetras. What are your thoughts on this? I have vals and crypts as plants and do weekly 25% water changes.

Depends on the species of tetra. Unless you've done a fish-in cycle before and know exactly what you're doing, I wouldn't recommend doing one with Cardinals or Rummys. Both are sensitive to water parameters and they'll be easy to stress. On the other hand, Bloodfins and Black Skirts are much hardier and more tolerant of less-than-ideal water. Of course, Black Skirts will not tolerate low 80s and I'm not sure that Bloodfins would be able to do it over the long-term either.

One other thing about Rummys: They absolutely need moderate-to-heavy planting to feel safe. Otherwise, they'll be stressed and susceptible to disease.

I agree with Brookster about getting ahold of filter media from an established tank. In that case, it would be much safer to use more sensitive fish (not rams) in a fish-in cycle. Or you could just wait two or so weeks and do a fishless cycle.

I have a question, currently I have a 29 gal planted tank with a penguin 200b filter. I have 3 zebra dainos from when i started, 11 harlequin rasboras, 6 ghost shrimp and prob 11 cherry shrimp. I want to get a pair of german blue rams to add. If possible I was alos thinking of adding 6 neon tetras. What are your thoughts on this? I have vals and crypts as plants and do weekly 25% water changes.

You should start your own thread for this.

To answer your question, you should get at least 3-4 more Zebras or they may nip at tank mates.

If your rams are a confirmed breeding pair, I would probably not add the Neons. Neons are middle/bottom dwellers and will take the brunt of the aggression when rams breed. It probably won't be the end of the world, but your Neons will be unhappy every couple of weeks or so.

I cannot find any seeded media in my area, I live in New Orleans, La.
I Decided to pick up 5 bloodfin tetras last night to find them all well, and active in the morning. I dosed the water with prime yesterday evening a couple of hours before buying the tetras.

I cannot find any seeded media in my area, I live in New Orleans, La.
I Decided to pick up 5 bloodfin tetras last night to find them all well, and active in the morning. I dosed the water with prime yesterday evening a couple of hours before buying the tetras.

They should do fine, just test and change water accordingly.

That's a good choice for a fish-in cycle, and they'll also do a nice job of filling space in the top of your tank. They should be able to tolerate the lower temp limit for GBRs (81-82 F).

When you're done cycling, get another five Bloodfins. They can get nippy in small numbers, and more friends will help. They also shoal tightly and will look cool in larger numbers.

That's a good choice for a fish-in cycle, and they'll also do a nice job of filling space in the top of your tank. They should be able to tolerate the lower temp limit for GBRs (81-82 F).

When you're done cycling, get another five Bloodfins. They can get nippy in small numbers, and more friends will help. They also shoal tightly and will look cool in larger numbers.

Would I be able to fit another shoal in aswell? Maybe hatchets, or rasboras? I really want something different

Something to fill out the middle preferably

In a 55 gallon, you'd have plenty of room for another shoal. If you want something in the middle that can tolerate ram temperatures, Cardinal Tetras would be the way to go, IMO. Brookster's suggestion of Rummynoses is also a good one, though they tend to stay in the bottom third of the tank. Either one of these species can be added after you're cycled.

Back
Top Bottom