Stocking ideas for "gift" tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaft6977

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Bless their hearts, my family went and bought me a bunch of tank decorations for Christmas this year. My tanks are all "natural" looking and now I have a bunch of gothic type deco for a tank that I don't know what to do with. I think I'm going to just get a 29 gallon tank and put all of this stuff in it. Any ideas for stocking a tank full of skulls and such? I was thinking of keeping black or mostly black and / or dark colored fish in it. Maybe an all black Betta and some black skirt tetras, maybe some kuhli loaches.

Return it for plants and dw:) my fam just gets me amazon gift cards now hahah.. perfect!!! That sounds pretty satanic to me..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's the problem! They got all of this stuff on Amazon so it can't be returned! Plus it would make them feel good knowing I used what they got me. I've just never really set up a tank like this before.

Ohh man.. me neither, well actually, my first tank was ridiculous looking, I grew to hate it and tore it down after a couple months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Go completely ironic, get a black light lid and some of those glow in the dark tetra fish

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Stocking ideas for "gift" tank

Black neons could be cool. Or go larger and get either a vampire pleco or vampire tetra.

Though I'm more a fan of the natural look something like that could be kind of cool. Just different than anything you have. Kuhli loaches would look pretty neat slithering out of a skull's eye socket.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Oddly enough, one of the things they got me was an LED light that has like 5 billion colors & combos of colors.

Never heard of vampire tetras. Most of my experience is with native species. I'll have to look those up!

Holy crap! Yeah those get waaaay too big for what I have. Too bad though, those are pretty neat looking.

If it's for a gift, I would get some really hardy fish, try giant danios and silver dollars they feed easy and are very hardy

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Black skirt tetras may not be have hlthe black look you are looking for, out of the 10 in my 29 gallon about half of them have alot of black in their skirts. Levels are 0, 0, 15ppm, 7.4. They have plenty of hiding places, and live plants to block sight lines. The ones that don't have a black skirt have 2 black vertical lines. Don't know of this is just my experience or if it is normal

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd say throw in some black neons like a large school around 10-12 and then add some black Molly's and whatever other black colored fish. Oh and a school of black phantom tetras. So it all looks really dark, you can then have like the "good guy" and throw in some sort of gourami like a red flame or honey

They aren't dark colored but blind cave fish would look kind of creepy.

Are cave fish hard to find? I don't frequent the pet shops that often so I really don't know what's out there.

I don't think so. There really aren't any fish stores around me besides PetsMart so I've ordered my fish online. I was looking online at them and petsolutions.com has them for $4 each. Other sites noted them as being one of the most readily available tetras and even some WalMarts carry them.

That's a really good idea there. They are very creepy and really would fit well with how the tank is going to look. Thanks!

Yessir! Be sure to post update pictures whenever you decide your stock and get it set up.

Excuse the quality of this pic but it was taken years ago....this was my second tank, a 30g. I was 'gifted' black gravel, the fake grey rock things, and the fake plants. No idea why either but ok, I went with it. Actually used aluminum foil for the background. Had a pair of cons and some kuhlii loaches; probably some sort of schooler too (like I said, I was my second tank ;) )

Had it running for a few months and then we had to move...kind of lost the rocks and plants when that happened :whistle:

Attachments

• 30g mar 21 002.jpg
    30g mar 21 002.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 106
Yeah that's kinda what I'm dealing with. I was given a cave type thing with skulls all over it, a dragon skull, a tyrannosaurus skull, and an LED volcano thing. It's gonna look kind of weird in the same room as my native stream tank and my julidochromis tank. But I guess another tank is never a bad thing!

Back
Top Bottom