Stocking ideas needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ladybug5399

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know there's a lot of threads for stocking ideas, but I don't see too many for a 125 gal. My new tank is being delivered tomorrow! It comes with stand, hood, lighting system, 3 canister filters, power heads and heaters. I currently have a 46 bow front community tank but there's so many more options with a bigger tank! I'm open to all suggestions!

I have a 220g 100% planted and have:

9 Angelfish
25 Cory Cats
12 Threadfin Rainbow
15 Regular and Purple Harlequin Rasbora
25 Cardinal Tetra's
25 Rummynose Tetra's
3 Whiptail Cats
1 Longfin Albino BNP
4 Rachovii Killifish
2 Male Betta's
4 German Blue Rams

Your tank is roughly half the size of mine but this gives you an idea if you cut the number of fish in half a 125g could hold.

I thought about larger fish, but hubby feels its a waste for only a few small fish. (I've always wanted an Oscar ). I will need to order online or travel 4 hours for most of the fish (regardless of what I pick). I am limited to only chain stores locally who carry a basic stock.

You could do oscar, then another 10-12" cichlid, some dwarf cichlids such as firemouths, then a school of pictus catfish or clown loaches.

And really!? Wow, thats a long time!! Maybe you would be better with online shops such as live aquaria then.

I'd add some angelfish, severums, or keyhole cichlids and some bleeding heart tetras.

The husband wants to make a bigger community tank. I wasn't excited on the idea but there's a few fish I would love. We are still a month away from stocking but here is what I have that we will move over

3 Angels
2 rainbow (increase to 6?)
6 black kuhli
1 rubber lip pleco (add a second or bristle nose?)
2 dwarf gourami
3 mollys
Blue mystery snail

Some fish I'm interested in
Glass cat fish
Spotted Raphael
African butterfly
Congo tetra
Yoyo loach
Boesmans rainbow

I've had reticulate hill stream loach and loved it, may add 2 of those.

Again, not final list.... Just some that I'm interested in.

And the hubby wants to make the 46 bow front into an African tank!

You could add another 4 rainbows and another pleco (the kind is really up to you). I will deal with all the other fish separately:

glass cats - Need to be kept in groups of at least 4 but they tend to be very shy especially when kept with other big or fast fish. I have 4 myself in a 33 gallon and they are rapid - the fastest fish I have ever seen. So you shouldnt need to worry about them being eaten by any other fish on your list. Wonderful fish!

spotted raphael - these fish are nice too but I would be concerned about them going for your mollies.

African butterfly - I have one of these in my 33 gallon (so I can confirm that they definitely do work with glass catfish and also angelfish and dwarf gourami) and although they dont do much they are fascinating when you see them swim. If you are getting one of these though then you need to make sure you have a lid on top of your aquarium - these fish are expert jumpers.

congo tetra - Nice fish, you could keep them in a group of 6 or 10 - however, I would be worried about them being with your angelfish, they may fin-nip them. Perhaps you could choose another tetra species such as rosy tetras (I have rosy tetras in my 33 gallon too).

yoyo loach - Should be kept in a group of 3-4+ - however, again I would be worried about them fin-nipping the angels.

boesmans rainbow - Would look good too. You could get a group of these.

hillstream loach - would be nice, you could add 2 (or more) of those.

According to Aqadvisor, that puts you at 85% - here is the link so you can see everything roughly put together: http://www.aqadvisor.com/AquStockIm...200909300003:,5:200909300030:,2:200909300097:

The only thing I would say though is to watch your temperature and pH levels - with those fish selections you would have to keep them pretty constant.

Also, since you are still only at 85%, you still have room for other fish - perhaps you could add some/all of the following:

- 5 peppered corydas
- 2 german blue rams
- 1 red tailed black shark

As for the African Tank in the 46 bow front, that sounds fun!! Please let us know what you decide. :)

You could add another 4 rainbows and another pleco (the kind is really up to you). I will deal with all the other fish separately:

glass cats - Need to be kept in groups of at least 4 but they tend to be very shy especially when kept with other big or fast fish. I have 4 myself in a 33 gallon and they are rapid - the fastest fish I have ever seen. So you shouldnt need to worry about them being eaten by any other fish on your list. Wonderful fish!

spotted raphael - these fish are nice too but I would be concerned about them going for your mollies.

African butterfly - I have one of these in my 33 gallon (so I can confirm that they definitely do work with glass catfish and also angelfish and dwarf gourami) and although they dont do much they are fascinating when you see them swim. If you are getting one of these though then you need to make sure you have a lid on top of your aquarium - these fish are expert jumpers.

congo tetra - Nice fish, you could keep them in a group of 6 or 10 - however, I would be worried about them being with your angelfish, they may fin-nip them. Perhaps you could choose another tetra species such as rosy tetras (I have rosy tetras in my 33 gallon too).

yoyo loach - Should be kept in a group of 3-4+ - however, again I would be worried about them fin-nipping the angels.

boesmans rainbow - Would look good too. You could get a group of these.

hillstream loach - would be nice, you could add 2 (or more) of those.

According to Aqadvisor, that puts you at 85% - here is the link so you can see everything roughly put together: http://www.aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage.php?N=&L=72&D=18&H=22&J=&UV=gUS&UL=inch&F=3:200909300009:,6:201002041215:,6:200912072116:,2:200909300194:,2:200909300061:,4:200909300083:,1:200909300003:,5:200909300030:,2:200909300097:

The only thing I would say though is to watch your temperature and pH levels - with those fish selections you would have to keep them pretty constant.

Also, since you are still only at 85%, you still have room for other fish - perhaps you could add some/all of the following:

- 5 peppered corydas
- 2 german blue rams
- 1 red tailed black shark

As for the African Tank in the 46 bow front, that sounds fun!! Please let us know what you decide. :)

I'm 80% sure the hillstream loach is compatible temperature or flow wise.

I'm getting so excited! I'm feeling like a kid at Christmas! The tank is being delivered today in less than 2 hours!

I read the suggestions/additions to the husband and he is good with it. Would love to add German blue rams!

I've had a hillstream loach before and he was my favorite. I kept my tank at 85 and he did fantastic!

My mollies are about 3 inches..... Would they still be bait for the spotted Raphael? I would rather not have any issues.... Is there another catfish that would work well? I would like to stay under 6 inches if possible

I currently keep Yo-Yo Loaches with angels and I've kept Congo Tetra's with Angels without any fin nipping issues.

Another nice schooling fish are Purple or Regular Harlequin Raboras. Cardinal and Rummynose tetra's also do well and make nice schools.

WOOHOO! Its here! The tank was previously set up as salt water, so I have to go through and pick out what I need. The Lighting System got damaged so it may need replaced. Filters: Rena Filstar XP3, Fluval 204 canister and Fluval 205 Canister. I will spend today cleaning, checking filters and just being giddy over this! The previous owners left the tank water in all of the filters while it was stored (hoping they aren't too scary)

I'm getting a 125g also! :) my stock is going to be:
2- koi angelfish
1- bulldog pleco
3- clown loaches
10- glass catfish
10- cardinal tetra
10- blue tetra
5- Denison barbs

I hope I helped! :)

Back
Top Bottom