Stocking Level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

workfortheman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just inherited a 29g planted tank and thinking about adding more fish. Current inhabitants are:

1 blue Gourami (4")
1 pike cichlid (2.5")
4 cherry barbs (1.5")
2 flying foxes (3") ~ might get rid of them
2 clown loaches (2.25")
1 red-tail shark (2")

Overstocked? According to inches/gallon, I'm doing alright at about 1/2. Filter is a canister from odyssea (cfs4 model), have high light & CO2.

I'm not really attached to any fish yet; except that pikey - he's cool!

Also, I kinda want to condense my 20g long tank with this one. It contains:

1 gold angel (quarter-size)
6 black neon tetras
1 yo-yo loach

How do you think these additions will get along? Might they all end up getting bullied, or starving?

TIA

If I'm reading you correctly, you want to add some or all of them from the 29 to the 20L?

Just some opinions on that scenario. The barbs and angels may or may not co-exist, probably the pikey as well. Gourami would probably suffer from the lack of food question as everyone else in the tank(s) are swifter at getting at it.

Condensing all of them into the 20L will overstock you so I guess that's not exactly your plan(?)

just wanted to point out that the 'ipg' rule is based on the adult size of the fish, not the current size. but anyway, personally i don't believe in it, so....

anyway, back to the point, pikey might be unsuitable for a community tank. though i haven't done much research, i do know some of them are predatory, and grow pretty large. but do provide a hiding place or a hidden pvc and see how things work out. but i wouldn't be surprised if the cherries do start vanishing.

the shark will slowly grow a dislike for the foxes.

regarding the integration of the tanks, again the picture of pikey being friends with the neons comes to mind :mrgreen:.

the blue gourami might find the angel a tad small and start pushing it around. in my tank, there's always something going on between the gold gourami, the pearl gouramis and the angels.

Holy crap!
You're a mess!

1 blue Gourami - 6" adult size. It needs a 29 g minimum so you really can't have alot in there with it!

1 pike cichlid - are you talking about the North American pike? Either way, this chichlid has got to go!

4 cherry barbs - the only four fish that ares happy ATM (unless the pike decides against that :twisted: )

2 flying foxes "might get rid of them" - good idea

2 clown loaches - at 11" adult size, no brainers

1 red-tail shark - could work....

You're 20 gallon long could use improvement.

1 gold angel - babies (like quarter size) like to be in schools of 6+ fish. Even as adults, they prefer at least one companion

6 black neon tetras - looking fine
1 yo-yo loach - yoyos are schooling fish. They will need 2 - 5 more companions to prevent overstressing.

You really have you're work cut out for you... I suggest list all the fish you 100% want to keep and trade in the rest.

Pike cichlids come in several varieties they do grow fairly large and become aggressive. If you have a large enough tank they are quite nice looking fish. They are either central or south american, I don't remember which right now.

That being said a 29 is to small. A 55 would be perfect for a pair of them.

Hmmmm, looks like I inherited a big mess. Decisions, decisions. Here's the 2nd round of what to do with the two tanks:

29g:
-2 Clown Loaches are gone as well as 2 flying foxes (lazy b*st*rds) and will replace with 3 yo-yo's (once I find them).
-Pike cichlid stays, as he has grown very slowly over the last year and I really like that fish's colors and movement. Will closely moniter his aggression & growth.
-Cherry barbs stay
-Blue gourami goes
-Add gold angel, plus 5 quarter size angels (not necessarily gold)

20Long:
-angel, yo-yo move to the 29g.
-keep 6 black neons, add 10 neons [Paracheirodon innesi~includes a breeding pair]
-add 10-20 cherry shrimp

I'd like to raise neon tetra fry in my 5 gal hex, what are chances of them breeding with 6 black neons as tankmates in the 20Long? (heavily planted)

Thanks for the input all! I need the advice BAD ;)

I am concerned about tankmates for the pike. There are dwarf pikes, but most get about 10" or so. It might be good to try to ID this fellow. In any case, even for the dwarf, tankmates in a 29 are going to be tricky, unfortunately. If it is a dwarf and you really like him, I'd keep him as the centerpiece fish and stick with some catfish or dwarf plecos as tankmates. As mentioned, they really do need a cave or a ledge, or PVC to hang out in.

Even without the pike there is not room in a 29 for 6 angels, unless you are trying for a pair with the idea of removing the extras later. If you have a pair in there they will tend to get territorial at spawning time and other angels are not going to be tolerated. Other schooling fish should be okay, provided they are not too small.

As for the neons you are not likely to get any fry with any adult fish present in the tank. The best bet is to condition a pair and spawn them in the 5gal hex with marbles in the bottom so the eggs fall through and the parents can't get them to eat. Remove the parents afterwards and take care of the eggs yourself.

If you aren't too attached to it then trading in the angel might be the best idea. Get a few more barbs to make the school bigger. Angels grow really tall so a 20L isn't a great tank. A 29G is suitable for a single angel to grow to full size in but not with too many tank mates. Ideally an angel needs at least a 55 gallon to be happy. and with barbs in there they will probably go after the angels fins.

Concerning the pike, I'm fairly convinced it's a dwarf species, but it's tough to ID more specifically [ http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/5491/art-dwarfpike.html ]. I'll try to post a pic 2nite. Oh, there are caves in the tank but they're all being hogged by the loaches!

Maybe I will make him "centerpiece" of the 29g, and cancel the angel grouping. I would like to see a small group of botia lochata w/ the pike, that'd be kewl in the 29g.

Thx for the advice on the neon breeding, TG. I will probably set up black & Regular neons in the 20long, and pull (attempt to pull) the breeding pair if noticed. . .

Looks like ole' angel is out of a home!

Pictures

I've tried to attach some pictures of the pike and the tank. If anyone can ID this guy, please go ahead it would be a huge help. PLease excuse the crappy picture quality!

Attachments

• tanks_-_08-11-2005_014.jpg
    tanks_-_08-11-2005_014.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 47
  • tanks_-_08-11-2005_004.jpg
    tanks_-_08-11-2005_004.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 64
  • tanks_-_08-11-2005_015.jpg
    tanks_-_08-11-2005_015.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 74
Looks like Crenicichla compressiceps to me, which is dwarf, which is good! :D

I can see why you would like to keep him, and looking at your very nice tank I can also understand the temptation to add fish - everyone is small right now so it is easy to think it empty looking. Your loach/pike idea is a good one, but as you have seen loaches like hidey holes also, so maybe coat a piece of PVC with gravel using aquarium silicone and see if the pike takes it for himself.

Add gold angel, plus 5 quarter size angels (not necessarily gold)

no way ... full grown angels are 6" and that would way overcrowd your tank... you just need 2 angels in a 29 gallon... get him a partner, but make sure its the same size, if its smaller it might get picked on.
Also, angles do fine as one centerpiece fish. Theydon't ahve to have a 'partner"

AN~ That's what I thought too about angels going solo. . . she seems to be more than happy to hog all the food :) Probably won't be a suitable tankmate for black/reg neons as she grows older (and more grumpy), though.

TG~ Thanks for the ID, that's perfect (http://www.cichlids.com/wiki/index.php/Crenicichla_compressiceps) !!! You're right on the money, kudos! Seems hard to find good info on these guys on the net. I would like to try to track down a female and attempt spawning. Might have to join a cichlid forum. . .

><
___

Now it's just a matter of catching and finding a home for 2 clown loaches, 1 blue gourami, 2 flying foxes, 1 angel. yuck!!

Thanks for the input all.

Back
Top Bottom