Stocking levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dismantled

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there. I currently own an 80l tank. Thanks to people help in here I have managed to fully cycle and start stocking fish. Fish have been gradually added over time, minimum of 1 week apart. My stocking levels are currently at the following:

4 x black fin corys
2 x Kribinsis m&f
10 x Cardinal tetras

I’m just wondering how much more I can safely put in. Visually there never appears a lot of fish in the tank, but I know that not how it works.

I'm guessing your tank is roughly the equivalent of a 20 gallon high? If so I'd say you are pretty much maxed out IMO. Just try to turn your tank over 10x an hour or more with filtration and do 35-40% water change once a week. Nice tank!!

Thanks. It’s getting there I’m sort of happy with how it looks. I do a large water change weekly and that seems to keep my parameters in check. I just feel there’s a lot of empty space at the top that fish don’t use. The cardinals don’t move much from where they are positioned in the picture.

Maybe put in some more of your taller plant along the back of the tank to fill in that open top look??

Yeah cardinals won't "fill in the top". They are more of a mid water fish. You could try want King Fisher suggested and get taller plants, or you can also try floating plants and their root structures would fill up that space.

80 liters comes out to about 21 gals. But looking at the tank, the dimensions look more like a 20 high than a 20 long. So I'd stay you're fully stocked. If it was longer and not as tall, I'd say throw in some more cories.

There aren't many fish that are true top dwellers. If you want to fill in the top, tall plants are probably the best bet.

Cardinals and other similarly sized tetras tend to stay towards the middle/bottom of the tank in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom