Stocking List Complete - I think...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, after debating on which fish I should get here's the most up to date stocking list. I currently have Gouramis and Rams in my 46 gallon so I don't see any issues between them. I've read many posts here in which Gouramis and Barbs are ok as long as the Barbs are in a healthy school, I think 9 is good. I'm a little worried about the Gouramis bickering amongst themselves, but I think they'll be ok in the 75 gallon. Overall, I think it's a decent list and I think once it's set up it'll look awesome! What are your thoughts?

(9) Tiger Barbs (3 Tigers, 3 Albino, 3 Green)
(3) Bolivian Rams
(2) Gold Gouramis
(2) Opaline Gouramis
(2) Ropefish
(3-4) Yo-Yo Loaches
(1) Sailfin Pleco

Quite the stocking list, lol. Just a bit of advice, have a tight lid on the tank. I heard the ropefish are excellent escape artists. :)

Lonewolfblue said:
Quite the stocking list, lol. Just a bit of advice, have a tight lid on the tank. I heard the ropefish are excellent escape artists. :)
Thanks, but why do you say "quite the stocking list, lol"? Is it bad? Seriously, I'd really like to know if something is wrong. :)

I did read that about the Ropefish. I've heard that they are great escape artists. I'm already working on researching a way to keep them safe and secure on the inside. :)

Nice list, but the Tiger Barbs probably will nibble on the gouramis antennae and be a pest to other fish. Personally I would stay away from them and go with something else. Ohterwise nice list.

richiestang_78 said:
Nice list, but the Tiger Barbs probably will nibble on the gouramis antennae and be a pest to other fish. Personally I would stay away from them and go with something else. Ohterwise nice list.

Cherrys?

Albino Cherrys are awesome too

The tiger barbs may nip some, but I don't thing they will present too much a problem. The reason I said quite the stocking list, is I like it. I don't think you are overdoing it. Just keep in mind the tigers might nip some, and the ropefish are excellent escape artists. I had my dwarf gouramis in with cherry barbs, which are also supposed to be fin nippers, and had no problems at all. :)

I have six barbs and they generally enjoy picking at each other and chasing each other around a lot. The poor rosey tries to get in on the fun, but she just doesn't have it in her.

Thanks everyone! I currently have Cherry Barbs in with Dwarf Gouramis, Danios, and Rams and haven't seen any of them nipping. In fact, I haven't even seen them nipping at each other! As far as getting Cherry Barbs instead of Tiger Barbs, I really don't want to do this for two reasons. One, I already have them in my work aquarium and two, because they're not as girthy as the Tiger Barbs which means that the Rope Fish will most likely be able to make a meal out of them.

My coworker (actually, my boss) had 12 Tiger Barbs in a tank with assorted Tetras and they pretty much stayed with themselves and left the Tetras alone. I think because I'm planning on having a good sized school and because the tank is so large that the Barbs should be fine. Of course I'll monitor them closely though just to be sure.

The fun part will be making sure the top of the tank is securely in place to prevent the Ropes from escaping. It may not be as difficult as I'm thinking since I have a canister filter as apposed to a HOB filter. I'll figure something out! :)

GouramiFanatic said:
As far as getting Cherry Barbs instead of Tiger Barbs, I really don't want to do this for two reasons. One, I already have them in my work aquarium and two, because they're not as girthy as the Tiger Barbs which means that the Rope Fish will most likely be able to make a meal out of them.

Cherrys are supposed to be less nippy, but nothin worse than having the same fish in 2 tanks :D Look forward to pics.... sounds nice!

Another addition you could add is Serpae tetras. They also have the shape of the tiger barbs. But I like my tiger barbs too. I have tigers in my 55G and Serpae's in my 75G. :)

Aren't the Serpeas smaller than Tigers? I'd like to keep fish that'll be to big for the Ropefish to eat. I'm the type of person who would feel incredibly guilty if any of my fish got eaten by another one, especially when I know it can happen!

I'd be worried about the ropefish eating the yoyo's. If they did try, they could get some nasty cuts in their mouths since the botia's have a movable razor sharp spine under their eyes.

Back
Top Bottom