Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

stocking musings - 55 gal planted

Hello,
I have a heavily planted 55g tank, no CO2 and my character fish, Gary the Gourami, just died. I'm trying to decide what to do now, either replace him with another gourami or take the two female gouramis back to the LFS and begin with a new type of fish.

My current stocking:
7 praecox rainbows
3 marbled cories
3 schwartzi cories
1 clown pleco
3 amano shrimp
6 albino cherry barbs
2 oto cats
2 F dwarf gouramis

I'm interested in apistogramma cacatouides, angel fish, congo tetras, tiger barbs, or maybe boesmani rainbows. I'm willing to take back the gouramis and maybe the cherry barbs but want to keep everybody else. The amanos are pretty good-sized (1.25 to 2+ inches).

Any of my thoughts a horrible idea? I know, I know, the tiger barbs are probably the worst plan but I really like them.

Thank you!
~norcalg

Old 04-05-2008, 04:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to marchmaxima
I'm sorry to hear Gary's passing, norcalg. I'm a Gourami fan, so I'll push you back down the Gourami path.

Ever considered a pearl gourami? I would love to have one as my signature fish in a tank one day.

marchmaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
If the Amanos were safe with the Dwarf Gouramis I suggest you get another male or take the females back and get some Honey Gouramis. My thoughts are that anything larger (Angels, Boesemanis, Pearl Gouramis, maybe even Apistos) would eat the shrimp. Apistos may be safe with 1 1/2" shrimp, since they only get about 2" themselves. You could get a trio of those.

You don't really have room for another school IMO, so its best to stick to centerpiece type fish.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchmaxima View Post
I'm sorry to hear Gary's passing, norcalg. I'm a Gourami fan, so I'll push you back down the Gourami path.

Ever considered a pearl gourami? I would love to have one as my signature fish in a tank one day.
Thank you. If I decide to continue with the gouramies, I'll get another dwarf blue male to go with the females. I loved watching their spawning and courtship rituals.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustOneMore20 View Post
If the Amanos were safe with the Dwarf Gouramis I suggest you get another male or take the females back and get some Honey Gouramis. My thoughts are that anything larger (Angels, Boesemanis, Pearl Gouramis, maybe even Apistos) would eat the shrimp. Apistos may be safe with 1 1/2" shrimp, since they only get about 2" themselves. You could get a trio of those.

You don't really have room for another school IMO, so its best to stick to centerpiece type fish.
Why honeys instead of the dwarf blue? The Amanos haven't proven to be the hardiest so I may just wait a few weeks and see if they're still around. I'm starting a 10g planted that will have shrimp in it so they could also be moved over there. The Amanos were fine with the Dwarf Blue, it was the rainbows that snacked on one (already dead, I think, the others have been accounted for)! Maybe I'll add a trio of apistos and a couple more cherry barbs...

Thank you,
Old 04-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
Honeys are more peaceful than Dwarves, so that is why I recommended them instead. But if you wanted to keep the females and just get some apistos, that would be fine as well, since the gouramis stay near the top. Or take the female gouramis back and get apistos. I guess it would be a little crazy to replace gouramis with more gouramis huh.

I hear ya on the Amanos. I think I am down to 1 out of 5. I've had a couple jump out (about a 1.5" gap in the back uncovered) and a couple died in a co2 mishap....so yeah, they don't last long for me.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
Go with more gouramis, or perhaps a paradise fish. I love the look of them.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #8
eah
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'll second the suggestion for a pearl gourami. They are strikingly beautiful fish - don't be fooled by their condition in the store, once they get settled in your tank they are dazzling.

Tags
55 gallon, plant, planted, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com