Stocking my 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ywagner

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, so I have been noticing that in my 69 gallon tank many of my fish are outgrowing and bullying the angels I have in there. I decided that it would be best to give them their own tank as they are very cool fish and they do deserve better. What I need to know is what fish to stock. I haven't done much with smaller fish like tetras and corries and such so I don't know what to stock it with.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What are some good beginner plants I could grow too. Haven't done much with planted tanks but thinking about Anubias and water sprite

You have way too many fish options to even begin listing. I suggest going to your lfs and seeing what fish you like, and then researching their ultimate size and compatibility. Do you want a community? Give us a few ideas of things you like, then we can help you start to narrow stuff down a bit. Also, do you have good stores around you? Can you order fish online? I don't like getting people's hopes up with awesome suggestions that are not readily available to them. :p

Anubias and water sprite a re fine. Amazon swords are also easy, as if hornwort, stargrass, Java fern, and Java moss.

Giving some info about your tap water chemistry (pH, GH, nitrates, etc.) would also helpful. If you don't want to alter your water, the chemical makeup of your tap water will narrow your options.

Ya I am looking for a community tank, and I do have pretty much access to any fish I want. I know there are a ton of options but just want to hear some advice on which ones you guys like the best. My ph is on the higher side (around 7.5) but as far as I know a higher ph is usually ok for most species except for discus and such. I am still cycling the tank, but would like to get a head start on all the planning.

Most commonly available aquarium fish are very flexible to a wide range of pHs. 7.5 is fine, I wouldn't consider it to rule out many fish at all, not community aquarium fish anyways.

So, a few options I like are the paradise gourami, pearl danios,any laetacara, kribensis, farlowella, pitbull pleco, banjo catfish, keyhole cichlid, dwarf chain loach, red sumo loach, diamond tetra, ruby barb, and green fire tetra.

Not all of those are compatible with each other, so it depends on what you like and you need to do research. :)

No fish are really the best, it really depends on what you want. Many of us have kept dozens of species, some have kept hundreds over the years. So, it is tough to narrow down suggestions without knowing what sort of things you are interested in. Give us some more ideas about you like or don't like, and we will work to keep helping you with options.

Last edited:
Ya that is a great list, I see you put in pearl danios which are one of my favorites. The types of fish that I find to be really ugly tho are most live bearers
And goldfish. Do you think that those gouramis will do well with my angels tho?

I currently have a paradise gourami in a 75g with angels. I would only get 1 gourami though.
Before dropping too many options, I should ask what all of your current stock you plan to put in the 29g.

Right now:
2 angels
1 pipefish
5 tetras or 5 celestial pearl danios
5 corries (haven't decided what type yet)
Maybe some type of loach?

Might not do the tetras/danios cause of angels but idk

Cool, I was thinking about those guys

Right now:
2 angels
1 pipefish
5 tetras or 5 celestial pearl danios
5 corries (haven't decided what type yet)
Maybe some type of loach?

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Freshwater Pipefish, Dorithys martensii
That kind of pipefish? Do you already have one? If so, how well does he eat? Since they are a fish that my research indicates can be tough to get to eat prepared foods, I am just asking for the sake of compatibility. You don't want anything too rambunctious that will steal all the food from a shyer species. :)

Not yet, I will have to confirm with my lfs, but they do have one in a community tank so I will see what he is on

Ya thinking about two

My one caution with Bolivians is to be careful with too many potentially paired fish. A 29g is not exactly a huge space, and too many fish all trying to pair up and breed is the same space does always go well, especially in close quarters. I would suggest 1 angel with a pair of Bolivians if that is what you are interested in. 2 of each could work, but I only suggest it if you have a back-up plan to move fish around in case it doesn't work. Even if that plan is returning them to a store, possibly without any credit. Just pointing it out, because some people are not in a good local or position to re-home fish when necessary. I do not know if you are able to or not, just covering all bases. :)
I don't think this is a good situation for a pipefish at all. Too many piggy fish in there. If it was you already had, and you could know how it ate and interacted this would be a little different. As it is, I suggest against it. Smaller peaceful tetras who won't necessarily eat up all the food before a shy pipefish gets it will get eaten by an angel. Talk to the lfs though, but just because he is in a community tank doesn't mean he is healthy or eating. Up to you of course though. I wouldn't buy one before asking to see it eat.

Hmm i didn't realize that different species of breeding pairs would not work out in a tank like that, I realize that the angels will become more aggressive once the eggs are laid so I am always on gaurd to remove them. What it sounds like you are suggesting is to have just one ram, or two of the same sex. I will be careful with the pipe too, I heard that the will usually take krill so that should not be too hard. Thanks for all this great help btw ?

Wow I looked them up and you are right, they are pretty cool. Only thing is not sure how they will stand against angels if they start to get territorial.

Back
Top Bottom