Stocking new 30g, bottom feeder help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmike

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I wanted a tropical semi-aggressive aquarium and a red-tail shark. The LFS recommended a 30g tank that's 14inches wide (it's smallest side). He told me that it would be good for the fish that grows up to 6 inches... After all my research I have since learned otherwise.

Currently my tank is stocked with 6 Tiger barbs and 6 Zebra Danios. I have a large piece of Malyasian driftwood that stands that creats a large cave against one corner of the tank. A medium sized cave. A bunch of Mollywart that my barbs constantly peck at and an Anubias. I currently have black gravel and plan to add just a little more to better bury the molleywart. I'm thinking I'll add another cave and a sword plant.

In a few weeks or so my tank should be ready to add some bottom feeders. I'm thinking about placing some ghost crabs, but I'm word about the Barbs attacking them. I'm not sure what to put in as a bottom feeder. Some recommendiations would be helpful. I'm still PISSED I wanted a Red Tail Shark SOOOOOooooo BAD!

I've read that they can grow up to 8 inches. That seems like an even worse problem than a red-finned shark. I'd like a more active fish, what are those smaller algae eaters that swim around llike crazy and grow to 2 inches. I can't remember what they are called.

Okay so I'm thinking three juli cory's... will this be too much bio-load?

dsmike said:
I've read that they can grow up to 8 inches. That seems like an even worse problem than a red-finned shark. I'd like a more active fish, what are those smaller algae eaters that swim around llike crazy and grow to 2 inches. I can't remember what they are called.

Bristlenose plecos only grow to be 5 inches max and are peaceful. There's no problem with keeping a red tailed shark in a 30 gallon... The problem is that it'll attack everything since it doesn't have enough space to claim a territory. That's why you can keep a bristlenose pleco in that tank. You could do one bristlenose, and 6 juli cories in that tank no problem! Have you looked at maybe adding another centerpiece fish instead of the shark?

dsmike said:
Okay so I'm thinking three juli cory's... will this be too much bio-load?

I'm doing this in my 30 gallon, and it's been approved here:
6 rummy nose tetras
6 black skirt tetras
6 orange laser cories
2 Bolivian rams (pair)
1 male Betta
1 starlight bristlenose pleco
So yes... You should do more like 6 juli cories and you'd be fine.

I'm not sure what center piece fish to use then.
I like hearing i could have a shark, I measured my aquarium dimensions myself and i see no reason why i can't have a six inch fish.
Ideas?

I like hearing i could have a shark, I measured my aquarium dimensions myself and i see no reason why i can't have a six inch fish.
Ideas?
even the smallest sharks need a 55 gallon minimum.othewise they mihgt kill everything.

Moved to the FW general discussion. More people will see it there. This is the welcome forum.

What about getting a gourami as your centerpiece fish and still doing the cories? I also recommend not putting a red tailed shark in anything smaller than a 46-55 gallon tank. I have a rainbow shark in my 55 and he seems very comfortable.

I would definitely go with some cory's. I have 4 peppered cory's and 2 amano shrimp as bottom feeders in my 30 gal tank and they get on fine with my 6 tiger barbs! The cory's are very active even swimming about with my tigers sometimes and with some help from the shrimp keep the bottom of my tank spotless :)

dsmike said:
Ideas?

Yes, you could... But keep in kind it'd have to be the only fish in the tank.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll post some pics of my 35 gallon tank soon. I am temporarily housing a Rainbow shark that on of my co-workers had in his 20 gallon. He has made himself a nice home at the bottom of my tank. It's well planted and set up so that there are lots of caves. Once he reaches 4 or 5 inches I'm going to take him to my LFS.

Red Tail Sharks are my favorite fish, but it's true they are very aggressive and territorial. Mine was crazy and would attack my Convict cichlids constantly. My first experience with one was when I bought a very small one for a 20gal. In that tank he had to deal with 4 Tiger Barbs. One day I thought for sure he was going to die so I took him out and put him in a large bowl. About an hour later he jumped out of the bowl and hit the kitchen floor, so I put him back in the 20 to take his chances. The next day all the tiger barbs were dead. I learned my lesson, and felt very guilty. I bought an 84 gal and got him in there as soon as I could and he lived and grew to be a spectacular fellow.

Back
Top Bottom