Stocking of my 60 Gallon Tropical tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Esimone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have come to realize that there are very diverse outlooks on almost everything related to owning an aquarium- whether or not to use carbon, how to best cycle a tank, what type of fish belong together, how much to stock in a fish tank, etc.... Because of this, I am interested to hear what people have to say on this question.

My question is this- based on what is currently in my 60 gallon freshwater tank listed below, do you think I am adequately stocked, overstocked, or have room for more?

My calculations on what I have so far are based on the "one inch per gallon" recommendation given the full grown size of the fish (all of which are still below it, except my platy's probably). Let me know what you think. Assuming the "1 inch per gallon" thing is true, you can see that I should be at capacity once they get full grown, but again, I am just interested to see what others have to say.

Thanks for the input.

2 Angelfish (anticipated 6" = 12 gallons)
2 Balloon Belly Mollies (anticipated 3" = 6 gallons)
1 Halfmoon Betta (anticipated 3" = 3 gallons)
3 Sailfin Mollies (anticipated 5" = 15 gallons)
4 Platies (anticipated 2.5" = 10 gallons)
1 Swordtail (anticipated 4.5" = 4.5 gallons)
3 Guppies (anticipated 2.5" = 7.5 gallons)

Total gallons would be 58, and my tank is at 60.

Most of the fish you have are live bearers, which have pretty big bioloads. I don't agree with the one inch per gallon rule. I think it has way more to do with the bioload, the water changes (hie clean the tank is kept) and the overall tank size. If you went by that rule and that rule only, you might put a 10" fish in only a 10 gallon. Also, one inch of goldfish (huge bioload) is very different than one inch of tetra (small bioload) I think given the kind of fish you have, you aren't overstocked, but I wouldn't get more fish.

Hi

I believe the inch per gallon rule to be outdated and wrong, but if you would like to find out a rough estimate use aqadvisor. Btw I think you are understocked.

How much more room do you think I have?

REVISE: One thing I should have mentioned- I completely understand that "one inch per gallon" has obvious restrictions such as a fish needing a minimum size tank regardless- ie- even though an angelfish only gets to 6" plus fins, it needs at least a 20 gallon tank to have room to swim, or the fact that goldfish are super messy and shouldn't use this rule either.

As one more note- I have been and do add fish gradually so I haven't had ammonia spikes or anything that causes the tank to recycle.

Thanks for the continued input everyone!

Esimone said:
How much more room do you think I have?

REVISE: One thing I should have mentioned- I completely understand that "one inch per gallon" has obvious restrictions such as a fish needing a minimum size tank regardless- ie- even though an angelfish only gets to 6" plus fins, it needs at least a 20 gallon tank to have room to swim, or the fact that goldfish are super messy and shouldn't use this rule either.

As one more note- I have been and do add fish gradually so I haven't had ammonia spikes or anything that causes the tank to recycle.

Thanks for the continued input everyone!

Maybe a couple of corys

Am I reading your post correctly that your list is your current stock? If so ... you have a betta in there? Because that's awesome - I would never have thought you could put a betta in with any of that stock, and I'm a big fan of bettas in community tanks.

But I would definitely go for some bottom feeders - corys, otos, small-ish plecos. Plecos do typically have a large bio-load though.

Am I reading your post correctly that your list is your current stock? If so ... you have a betta in there? Because that's awesome - I would never have thought you could put a betta in with any of that stock, and I'm a big fan of bettas in community tanks.

But I would definitely go for some bottom feeders - corys, otos, small-ish plecos. Plecos do typically have a large bio-load though.

I agree. Some cories would really benefit your tank and are active. You are understocked as far as I can tell.

I would say you are fully stocked, that's a lot of livebearers. Maybe a few small cories, maybe!

I'd say the reason the poster has had some success with the betta is that they appear under stocked...I agree with your suggestion for a bottom feeder though, very sparse down there.

Thanks! And yes, that's all current stock. The betta gets along just fine with all the other fish so it's great!

One of my fish had some fry today apparently but I can't figure out which. I caught two of them and now I am waiting to see if I have more.... I put the "suspects" into a birthing container but I'm not positive it's them be use none are large or have the right markings.... Odd

I have come to realize that there are very diverse outlooks on almost everything related to owning an aquarium- whether or not to use carbon, how to best cycle a tank, what type of fish belong together, how much to stock in a fish tank, etc.... Because of this, I am interested to hear what people have to say on this question.

My question is this- based on what is currently in my 60 gallon freshwater tank listed below, do you think I am adequately stocked, overstocked, or have room for more?

My calculations on what I have so far are based on the "one inch per gallon" recommendation given the full grown size of the fish (all of which are still below it, except my platy's probably). Let me know what you think. Assuming the "1 inch per gallon" thing is true, you can see that I should be at capacity once they get full grown, but again, I am just interested to see what others have to say.

Thanks for the input.

2 Angelfish (anticipated 6" = 12 gallons)
2 Balloon Belly Mollies (anticipated 3" = 6 gallons)
1 Halfmoon Betta (anticipated 3" = 3 gallons)
3 Sailfin Mollies (anticipated 5" = 15 gallons)
4 Platies (anticipated 2.5" = 10 gallons)
1 Swordtail (anticipated 4.5" = 4.5 gallons)
3 Guppies (anticipated 2.5" = 7.5 gallons)

Total gallons would be 58, and my tank is at 60.

Size wise your understocked, I do agree that the inch per gallon isn't a good rule to follow, but bioload wise I would be very very hesitant to add anymore stock. As said in previous comments majority of your stock is livebearers, the mollies and platies are the fish with the bigger bioload. In my 55 gallon I have:
11 black ruby barbs
4 ornate rainbows
3 platies
2 Bolivian rams
1 albino BN pleco
2 SAE's
2 panda cories
4 bronze cories
3 peppered cories
1 Raphael catfish.

Once my platies pass on I don't plan on replacing them because of their bioload, I would like to add to my Cory numbers instead, possibly even maybe add another few ruby barbs; barbs are a big possible though... I'd more than likely end up with more cories before anything lol.

Back
Top Bottom