stocking opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgilityIG

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 50 gallon tank is cycled!! Yeah!!! It went REALLY well. I used an extra AC50 from my 20 gallon and it cycled in just over two weeks. It went so much better than my 20 gallon - the filter made a huge difference. Right now, the 50 gallon will "eat" 10cc of ammonia in 24 hours which is a huge amount compared to the 10 DROPS of ammonia that I was putting in my 20 gallon! :D

Anyway - I have my ideas narrowed down to a few things and want to get opinions on what will/won't work out together.

Right now, in the 20 gallon, I have:

6 Black Sail Cory Cats
2 Flame Dwarf Gourami
2 Mystery Snails

Everyone from the 20 will be going into the 50. I would like to add six more Cory Cats (probably another variety - leaning towards Emerald Greens) After that I am undecided - I thought about a small (six?) school of Boesemani Rainbows, but wondered if the Gourami would pick on them? Thoughts? Is this overstocked?

The substrate is PFS with plants, some large river rock (my Corys LOVE to pile on smooth river rock together) and rainbow slate. Filters are an AC 50 and an AC 70. I am planning on replacing the 50 with another 70 down the road if needed.

Sweet!! Congrats on the cycle!! I think you'll be just fine provided you have enough hiding spots for your DG's. Just remember the rainbows will breed so you'll have to keep that in mind. I don't think your over stocked as of yet but that depends on how many rainbows you get. Id get a nice school of tetras or glolights for movement but that's just me.

Thanks! I am VERY excited about the cycle going so well.

My Cory Cats are very active and provide a lot of movement. I can't wait for them to experience the PFS - their current tank has gravel. I am thinking of 6 Rainbows, so would end up with:

6 Black Sail Corys
6 Emerald Green Corys
2 Dwarf Gourami
6 Boesemani Rainbows
2 Mystery Snails

The DGs should be happy with the rainbow slate I bought for them. Plus there is a large fake stump that is a bit like a cave and they like that.

Back
Top Bottom