Stocking options? 10G tall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I have a 10g tall that I plan on making a heavily planted, high tech tank in a few months and I'm bored so I wanna hear what you think I should stock it with. No bettas, I have a build for that in mind as well.

I was thinking a pair of GBR with a group of 5 or 6 otos.

Don't do the pair of rams as that tank is slightly too small for them but the ottos are a good choice, just wait for the tank to be about 6 months old before you get them as they only eat natural bio film and as for a top swimming fish a nana fish like cpds or rasbora a could be cool. You could do about 6-10 nano fish depending on which one you choose.

I wouldn't.... a standard 10 gallon is 20x10x10, and I would use that for a ram breeding tank, but that would be one pair only, no other fish. The extra height in your tank does rams no good, while the shortened length means less space for them. Small gouramis would be a better choice IMO. Sparkling gouramis would be great in there.

I wouldn't.... a standard 10 gallon is 20x10x10, and I would use that for a ram breeding tank, but that would be one pair only, no other fish. The extra height in your tank does rams no good, while the shortened length means less space for them. Small gouramis would be a better choice IMO. Sparkling gouramis would be great in there.

Probably a good idea. I'd like all three levels filled though. I like honey gouramis, Pygmy cories, and otos. Maybe a small school of nano fish in there?

I see what you mean. If it matters, sparkling gouramis will roam all over the tank. If you're able to find croaking gouramis, they are great too; a bit larger than sparkling and loads of personality.

Hmm I like the croaking gouramis. Maybe a trio of 2 females, 1 male, and a small school of otos.

Any other suggestions with maybe a little more color. I kind of want the idea of that tank to be a little out of the ordinary but still colorful. I don't mind plain fish as the plants are still going to be nice. Actually, as I write this I have no idea what I want for this tank other than the heavily planted part lol

dont see whats wrong with adding 3 sparkling gouramis or honey, a group of wonderful nano fish--- the chili rasbora, and a couple of otocinclus

dont see whats wrong with adding 3 sparkling gouramis or honey, a group of wonderful nano fish--- the chili rasbora, and a couple of otocinclus

Yeah, I like that. I think the chilis would look great against the green plants.

finely!! thank you very much. it feels good to get the advice you have given to be approved. many people just keep on changing my ideas. now im happy thank you very much and good luck with your fish man.

also if you think that the red looks good against the green plants try scarlet badis and red cherry shrimps good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
also if you think that the red looks good against the green plants try scarlet badis and red cherry shrimps good luck!

I really like the scarlet red badis but they should be in a species only tank correct? Red cherry shrimp are also my planned stock but I don't know if they'd do fairly well with croaking or sparkling gouramis.

I really like the scarlet red badis but they should be in a species only tank correct? Red cherry shrimp are also my planned stock but I don't know if they'd do fairly well with croaking or sparkling gouramis.

Heavy planted tank will do fine. Just let the RCS colony build up first.

Scarlet badis can be in a community tank I'm pretty sure. But I can't remember.

Instead of chilis, I prefer celestial pearl danios. Just my opinion:).

Yup, I do prefer the CPD instead. I'd really like to do a trio of badis, say 6 CPD, 3-5 otos, and shrimp. Anybody else can confirm if the badis can be in a community?

Scarlet badis is a sturdy fish that does well in heavily planted tanks where it can find a multitude of hiding places. In a tank, it will appreciate the dimly lit regions at the bottom of the tank, or around floating plants. They can be a picky eater, and will not always accept non-live food. Even if they do, it is recommended to supplement their diet with live food like Daphnia or Artemia. Males can be aggressive amongst each other. In a large enough tank with enough decorations to create broken lines of sight, multiple males can be kept together. In smaller tanks, one male can be kept with a small harem of three females. Otherwise, scarlet badis is a very peaceful, or even shy fish that should not be kept with faster, more boisterous tankmates. They can be successfully kept in community tanks with other small and peaceful fish, like small rasbora species. The water parameters for scarlet badis are 18-26°C (64.4 - 78°F), pH range 6.5 - 8.5 and hardness 3 - 15°H.

Scatlet badis are very easy if given a few things. Almost all IME will take frozen food. Mine even took flake but frizen is needed as well. Live is not necessary unless they refuse to eat anything else.
In a 10 tall you could have 3 males easy. Provide enough hiding places and broken line of sight for several territories.
Larger badis species like to hide in caves which is very very cook to watch. I am not sure if scarlets do or not but it would be cool to watch if they do.
I have never seen a badis hurt anything else just be sure they get food and cant get swallowed as they are tiny.
Frozen food should be very small. Frozen prawn eggs are the perfect size but contain salt so I dont recomend feeding them just a good size reference.:)

Scarlet badis is a sturdy fish that does well in heavily planted tanks where it can find a multitude of hiding places. In a tank, it will appreciate the dimly lit regions at the bottom of the tank, or around floating plants. They can be a picky eater, and will not always accept non-live food. Even if they do, it is recommended to supplement their diet with live food like Daphnia or Artemia. Males can be aggressive amongst each other. In a large enough tank with enough decorations to create broken lines of sight, multiple males can be kept together. In smaller tanks, one male can be kept with a small harem of three females. Otherwise, scarlet badis is a very peaceful, or even shy fish that should not be kept with faster, more boisterous tankmates. They can be successfully kept in community tanks with other small and peaceful fish, like small rasbora species. The water parameters for scarlet badis are 18-26°C (64.4 - 78°F), pH range 6.5 - 8.5 and hardness 3 - 15°H.

Cool, thanks! So I think I'm going to go with this:

3 scarlet badis 2:1 female to male
6 celestial pearl danios or some sort of nano rasbora
3-5 otos
RCS

I just hope I can find some here cause fining a good online retailer to canada is hard.

Scatlet badis are very easy if given a few things. Almost all IME will take frozen food. Mine even took flake but frizen is needed as well. Live is not necessary unless they refuse to eat anything else. In a 10 tall you could have 3 males easy. Provide enough hiding places and broken line of sight for several territories. Larger badis species like to hide in caves which is very very cook to watch. I am not sure if scarlets do or not but it would be cool to watch if they do. I have never seen a badis hurt anything else just be sure they get food and cant get swallowed as they are tiny. Frozen food should be very small. Frozen prawn eggs are the perfect size but contain salt so I dont recomend feeding them just a good size reference.:)

Thanks! I won't have a problem of fish eating other fish lol I'm looking for mostly nano fish. Wouldn't 3 males show aggression? And are females different color wise than males or are they both pretty vibrant?

Back
Top Bottom