Stocking options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have a 65 gallon freshwater setup with live plants. It has been up and running for 3 years or so.
I am looking into maybe adding another or couple more fish. Just want to get everyone's opinions.
I know most of the fish do well in groups. I had groups of most of them but some have died. I may just add some of what i currently have so there are groups of 3-5 of a type.

Current stock:
2 angels
1 melini cory
4 albino cories
3 tiger nerite snails
1 zebra danio
1 glowlight tetra
1 bloodfin tetra
1 glofish danio
1 rainbow shark
1 bristlenose pleco
5 otocinclu
1 kissing gourami
3 glo fish tetra
1 dojo loach

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If it were me I would just rebuild some of the schools to more appropriate numbers, unless you're phasing them out to pick something else. In my large show tank. I'm currently phasing out the black skirt tetras to make room for some more angels but if I weren't I would buy more just because schooling fish imho always look best in as large a school as you can get away with.

That kind of what i am thinking. I may phase some out and get some more of the glo tetras. I have blue led light for night time and they look pretty cool.

Just wanted to get some ideas for other cool community fish. This spring i am going to try to get another elephantnose fish. I had one for like 2 years but he passed away.

Here is a picture of my tank with the night like (these light run for like 4 hours at night) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453953322.639470.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I generally favor naturally colored fish, so glo fish aren't my cup of tea.

My recommendations:
Re-home the angels. I love them and have 7 in my 150 gallon tank, but they get very large and will eat small fish. Unless you have a pair, one is going to be harassed to death.

As previously stated, build up the schools of your existing fish. Your tetras, cories and danios prefer large schools of their own species. Rummynoses are great tetras and sweep back and forth in tight schools.

Re-home the kissing gourami. They get very large and aggressive, and are "out of scale" with your existing stock.

Elephantnoses are interesting fish but are best kept in species tank because they don't compete well with other fish for food. Their lifespan is about 20 years.

I'm new here, but not new to the hobby. Currently I have a 75 gal planted with two schools of small rainbows (7 each of dwarf neon rainbow and boseman's rainbow), 7 diamond tetras, 4 blue spot sunfish, 1 juvenile red-tail shark, 15 neon tetras and 4 gold fish (they had nowhere else to go and I couldn't get rid of them...) The rainbows and diamond tetras stay in schools, usually mixed together, and the neons always stay together.

I would add to your tetras and danio, I believe they do best in schools of 5 or more and look best when in a group too.

Back
Top Bottom