Stocking plan for 55 gal...comments...suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here are my list of Definitely WANT to have:
1 Bristle Nose Pleco
ghost shrimp (not sure how many)
3 dwarf frogs (NOT clawed frogs)
6 Panda Corys
2 Opaline Gourami
3 Dwarf Gourami

Still deciding on a school/group fish: Idealy I would like to have a large group(10) of one of these and maybe a smaller group of another(5-6)
Zebra danio
Neon Tetra
Harlequin Rasbora
Cardinal Tetra

My "Maybe" fish is Angelfish. I really like them but dont want them to bully any other fish....do you suggest a single fish, a pair, do you think they are compatible with the fish in my want list?

I have been posting questions about the BGK but decided that until a MUCH larger tank is in the works (not just planned for) I will not get one. I would be way too attached to see it outgrow it's home.

Do you think this would be overstocked? I fully plan on testing for nitrates regularly, stocking very slowly after my fishless cycle is complete, doing PWC weekly minimum and possibly adding some low light plants like Java fern.

Thanks for any advice, suggestions and or/corrections.

Tori

I would skip the angel. The rest seems good to me. It should a full and lively tank. You could probably up the cory school to 8 if you wanted. The only thing you will have to watch is aggression among the gouramis, some of them can be boisterous.

Just a look out for you, neons can be sensitive little fish and many members here, including myself, have had real problems keeping them alive.

I would go with either the dwarf gouramis or the opalines. Opalines are pretty mean usually, so I'd try to get 1 male and 2 females. Same for the dwarf gouramis. 6 of them may work, but watch for aggression, like rich said. If you can't find female gouramis, then just get one opaline since they are the larger of the two. Male gouramis can kill each other.

I would go with either 10 cardinals or harlequin rasboras. For the smaller group, are there any other schooling fish you like? I suggest from your list to do the cardinals and harlies together, but that may be too much red. Danios are boring IMO....I'd go with something else that has some color....like Lemon tetras. :)

I would also skip the angel. Gouramis and angels don't always get along....and angels do like company, so you'd need atleast a pair.

If you can't find female gouramis, then you could just have 2 schools, both 8-10 each....plus whichever gourami you choose.

Pearl gouramys are very pretty. Have you seen them? I would love to do a large planted tank with 15 harlequin rasboras and 3 pearl gouramys.

I saw a tank of what were called neon dwarf gouramis tonight and I have to say they were some of the prettiest gouramis I'd ever seen.

I do love the colors of the dwarf gourami and will probably go with those if I can find 2 females to a male and buy them at the same time. They seem to have so many color variations now that are stunning.

Pearl Gouramis are really cool too. I guess it is always a good rule of thumb to get two females to a male. That has been suggested to me in several kinds of fish now so I think I will stick with that for most of my groups. Plus I know with the gourami, the males seem to show better color when there is a femal around. I may hold off on the larger Gourami for a while and see how the little guys do.

Lemon Tetra....had not thought about that....really great color combo though, thanks for the suggestion!

That is why I love this place!

Thanks!
Tori

If it were me, I would skip the second school of fish and just go with the one large school plus what you already have listed in your "definitely want to have" group.

It sounds like a great plan. Please post some photos once you've got it up and running!

i think moonlight gouramis are also beautiful (at least mine are, the ones on the internet look ugly), and kissers are just interesting, and yes they do kiss, often

hc8719 said:
i think moonlight gouramis are also beautiful (at least mine are, the ones on the internet look ugly), and kissers are just interesting, and yes they do kiss, often

I saw both at the LFS and thought they were really cool as well. The moonlights are so shimmery, I guess the pictures just cant do them justice. And I have always wanted some kissers....perhpaps a change of gourami is in order. :)

Can moonlights, kissers, and dwarf Gourami live peacefully together with plenty of plants and other hiding places?

i have 3 moonlights and 4 kissers living together, in 3 months, ive only seen the largest kisser "kiss" a moonlight during feeding, but thats it. mine go together very well. they do eat a lot, and are voracious eaters, i feed mine 3 times daily, sounds like alot, but you have non-dwarf gouramis, you need too feed often

Kissing gouramis can reach 8-10 inches. I have never seen one this big, but that is their max size. In a 55g tank I'd expect them to reach atleast 6 inches, maybe even 8. That is one huge fish IMO and to have more than one...wow. The tank will be quite crowded. The kissing is between males and its more like fighting (but not actually hurting each other)...so its not a really a kiss at all. They are named "kissing" gouramis because of this action and the fact that they poke their lips out like they are puckering up for a kiss.

I guess 3 types of gouramis can live together, but male gouramis do tend to fight, so watch for aggression.

Pearl gouramis are by far the most beautiful IMO. They look so peaceful!

are voracious eaters, i feed mine 3 times daily, sounds like alot, but you have non-dwarf gouramis, you need too feed often
Just wondering why you need to feed often when they aren't dwarves? I have a 4.5 inch Opaline gourami and I feed him (and the other fish) once every other day. He is well fed and disease free, so I wouldn't assume that you have to feed them alot. They are very voracious eaters like you said and will eat anytime you feed them....that doesn't mean you should feed them often though. Its up to the person as to how much they want to feed.

JustOneMore20 said:
Kissing gouramis can reach 8-10 inches. I have never seen one this big, but that is their max size. In a 55g tank I'd expect them to reach atleast 6 inches, maybe even 8. That is one huge fish IMO and to have more than one...wow. The tank will be quite crowded. The kissing is between males and its more like fighting (but not actually hurting each other)

Just wondering why you need to feed often when they aren't dwarves? I have a 4.5 inch Opaline gourami and I feed him (and the other fish) once every other day. He is well fed and disease free, so I wouldn't assume that you have to feed them alot. They are very voracious eaters like you said and will eat anytime you feed them

im well aware that the kissers arent "making out" and that they will get larger, 6 inches in most cases for aquariums. i plan on getting a 75 gallon soon enough

i had dwarves for a a short time, they werent really big eaters, that was my experience, but i may be wrong, thats were i was coming from in my comment.

im a firm believe in feeding fish what they can handle, and i have to feed them alot if my glass cats and bottom feeders have any hopes of catching enough scraps

Back
Top Bottom