Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Question *Stocking plan for a 30 gallon tropical tank?*

I just got a 30 gallon tank and stand today (only $30!) and was thinking about stocking ideas. I already have a 20 gallon long running, but I might take it down once the 30 is up and running. Could this work?

1 angelfish
6 neon tetras or cardinal tetras
6 panda cory cats
3 platy

I know the angel might eat neons, but I read that if you get a young angelfish after getting the tetras it will not attack them. Also, can I keep just one angelfish, or do they need pairs? Thanks!

Old 03-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Luna112
Regardless of when you get the angel, I believe it will still eat the neons.

Sent from my iPhone

Old 03-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

A single angel would be best for a 30, they get pretty big and you wouldn't want to risk pairing because that would lead to aggression issues. As for the neons, angels in the wild naturally eat them. But getting a small angel would definitely help with them not becoming food. I'd also add the angel last that way it doesn't look like your giving it treats
Old 03-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Usually if you add angels last, they're okay. But it's not always the case. If you get a small angel and let it grow, it won't eat the Neons until it can almost fit them in his mouth. Angels are always the last thing you should add to the tank, for territory situations, and food. Just like jespenguin said.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm not an angelfish fan because of their territorial nature. And yes, they may eat the tetras. We had a few, but eventually re-homed all our angels because the constant fighting got old.

Tags
30 gallon, stocking, stocking plan, tan, tropical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com