Stocking quandary!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasina

Aquarium Advice Freak
20gal h tank. Planted, have 4 tetra, 4 cory, 2 otto, 2 glo-danio, 1 Blue German Ram, and just a few 3-4, RCS.

Would love some suggestions on a few colorful, mid-tank swimming fish. I have looked, researched and just can't get enough info to make a decision on what. What I have now swims either on the top, or on the bottom. When you look into the tank, you don't see any fish... Thought of rainbows, but do they get along with a ram. Please, suggest.

Add another 3 tetras (if micro, 1 if large) to fill in your tetra family and they should perform boldly in the open areas. I would fill your oto school to 5 and a partner for your ram.. If you really want to add more mid level excitement I like barbs and loaches that are similar sized (5 black ruby barb and 3 kuhli or dwarf chain loach are nice playful choices). Good luck!

What type of tetra's do you have? I would add 1 or 2 more of them.

Two septra, and two black skirted. Only problem is I don't like them. I was thinking of putting them in my 10g guppy tank maybe... but I have 6 fry in there right now. Would just love something colorful. What the ram gets along with is my problem, even tho they say he is peaceful, I have seen him chase some if they get into his space.

I looked into the Emperor tetras and the sitess all said they are aggresive.
Red nose rummeys (?) might be a maybe. Thank you all for the suggestions. Have a better idea of what to put in there now!

Congo tetras are not a good idea. They have large bodies, and can grow over 3". They are very nippy, and with a school of 6(which is recommended for any tetra) you need at least 30 gallons, but 55 would be better.

rainbows are great, but most get to large for the 20 gallon. go with praecox rainbows, they stay small. I have rainbows with my Bolivians and GBR and everyone is fine! I love my rainbows, they are stunning and fun fish! I highly recommend them!

Back
Top Bottom