Stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boomer2244

Aquarium Advice Freak
I Currently have a 55g tank that I am converting into a half fish half frog tank and I cant figure out what I can put in the fish part. The land frogs will not be able to get into the water an I am splitting the tank horizontally. It will either come out to be 25g or 30g not sure yet.

Current stocking idea:
2-ADF
6- blood fin tetras
Either 4-bamboo shrimp or 10-bee shrimp(since they stay small)

I can't figure out a centerpiece I want something different. I've kept apistos, rams, betas, gouramis and paradise fish so I'm looking for something different and unique. And I was also wondering if I could put maybe another school of harlequin rasboras or something of that size as well.

What about some pea fuffers? Or a Silver dollar, the silver dollar would look great and go well with your tetras, I'm not sure about the pea puffers with the tetras though. Hope this helps!

a silver dollar can get around 6'' so i wouldnt put them in half of a 55 gallon

also im am confused as to how you are doing the splitting, are you going to put in your own divider thus being able to fill one side up the full height of the tank?

I am splitting it with a piece of plexiglas leaving aprox 3"-4" on both ends in the middle of the tank and a piece on each end going vertical so that I looks like a tray. There will be 2 plexiglas pieces in the water vertically for support and they will both have square holes cut out of them(size depends on the fish I put in. That is how I plan on splitting the tank.

Ime jewels can be aggressive and I don't know how they would do with the ADF or shrimp and I have had good luck with kribs that's one reason why in looking for something different

Boomer2244 said:
Ime jewels can be aggressive and I don't know how they would do with the ADF or shrimp and I have had good luck with kribs that's one reason why in looking for something different

Oh yah definitely aggressive but just thought I would put it out there :)

Doesn't plexiglass turn yellowish over time when water is kept on it... I always thought that was why people use acrylic when making a DIY tank... But some type of gourami maybe? Some type of pleco, I think you said no on the rams... Um angel? Might be to small of tank though. Maybe some type of loach...

It normally starts to tarnish yellow but I plan on spray painting it black like the PVC pipes I already have in the tank to stop that from happening and I was thinking of maybe an elephant nose or 1 of the smaller knife fish would that work in a 25-30g?

And I don't think the placo or loach would work cause of the ADFs and shrimp

What about Kribensis or jewel cichlids (not too sure about the jewel cichlids)

Neither would work...Jewel can be Nasty , Kribs too not as much...I had one Briefly (Jewel) and it killed my Algae eater....I could imagine it what it would do to a slower moving non aggressive Frog

So would an elephant nose or knife work I'm looking for something different from the norm

OK I found a few. Not sure if they will fit what you are looking for tho : reedfish, four eyed fish, some kind of puffer, African butterfly fish, and a freshwater lionfish

I know most puffers need brackish water the lionfish is very aggressive and the reedfish gets too big but I'll check the other only cause the centerpIece will have to swim through a large hole in plexiglas

Yeah love the fish but not for this tank lol I wish I can find apisto hongsloi but I can't that's why I'm looking for suggestions

Back
Top Bottom