Stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eAts

Aquarium Advice Activist
Current stock is 12 blue emperor tetra, 2 Bolivian rams and 6 oto cats. I want to add two blue rams and 10ish pseudomugil gertrudae (blue eyed Gertrudes) and am really wondering how the Gertrudes will do with the rest of the community. My other fish eat like pigs and I'm worried the Gertrudes are too small and timid and will be outcompeted for food. I haven't ordered them yet, but I would like to hear your experience and opinions with them. I forgot to add the tank is a 44 gallon pentagon so it's a tall tank. Filter fluvel 306 canister and has been running for about 10 months.

Thanks,
Kyle

The Gertrudes might get pushed out when it comes to feeding due to limited open water surface and the fact there are 12 emperiors. You might do better getting something that is alittle larger and able to hold it's own during feeding.

I would like to do the blue rams, but my bolivians are close to three inches and the blue and electric blue rams at the lfs are tiny comparatively. I think there are hiding spots and plants / hardscape to break the sight lines, but even the bolivians get into it occasionally. My worry is the lack of area to claim territories... I do like rummy nose tetras and cardinals so I may go that route also. There are too many great looking fish for one tank! I also want to add some CPD to my ten gallon tank with my betta, but I'm debating on that even though the temperament of the beta is very peaceful. I don't want to start that debate though. lol

hi guys, a little off-topic here. but does anyone know how to sex gertrudae rainbows? i saw my local petco has some. One of them look like the picture. there's about three more near this particular but look rather plain. and the associate told me they're females. i want to make sure it's really the female gertrudae rather than minnows or other fish. And anyone know how to breed them?

P_gertrudae_Weipa.jpg

I'd also recommend going with a larger rainbow, as the Gertrude's are too small to compete with the others. Furcata's would be nice.

@huizheng1988

The ones with the long, fancy fins are the males and the plain looking ones are the females. It's a bit harder to tell them apart when they are young but when they're older it's pretty easy. If you get them make sure you get them in like a 3::1 or 4::1 female to male ratio, as it's not uncommon for the males to stress the females out so much that die. Lost 3 females do to that!

I agree. Male fish almost always harass females so you should always have more females than males

thanks guys. so how do i breed them? some suggested using a lot of moss or things like that so the females can lay the eggs on it. is there a dancing ritual that these fish engage in before spawning? also, since the physical characteristics are so evident such that you can tell which one is male and which one is female, does that mean they're ready to spawn?

If you can tell the gender of the fish, they have reached sexual maturity. They are egg scatterers so moss or a spawning mop would work

Back
Top Bottom