Stocking question- 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marie74

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just picked up a 55 gallon at the Petco $1/gallon sale.

My plan was for a low tech planted tank, with easy plants.

2 gold dust mollies (currently in my daughter's 5 gal tank, but I know they will outgrow it)
6 rainbow fish (would it be OK to mix 3 boesmani and 3 turquoise?)
6 of a schooling tetra - haven't decided which.
5 corys.
1 guarami- possibly a dwarf
Possibly a pair of blue rams in a few months when my parameters are all stable and mature.

Is this overstocked? I can still return the 55 and hold out for a 75, but I already have a stand and filter for a 55, so if I can do this with a 55 I will go ahead with it as planned.

Not at all. I think that should be completely fine. What it really comes down to is swim area, aggression, and filtration.

You should remember to have a good balance of bottom, mid and top feeders for a balanced aquarium. With the stocking mentioned, you hit it on the nail. This is almost the same stock I started with.

Also, as fish get older and mating begins, some species can become more territorial than others. This may be the most obvious to an experienced aquarist but not all.

Filtration is probably the most important thing when it comes to stocking. If your filter/filters are prepared for the larger bio-load, you can stock more. I have done so without any hassle/problems. Fish are happy and healthy as can be.

When it comes the mix of rainbows will be fine by the way. I've seen tanks with all kinds.

Thanks! That is great! I have everything I need for a 55, but if I bought a 75 I'd need a new stand, better filter, etc..

For filtration - I have a fluval 306 canister, and an aquaclear 70. I may run both, or just the canister...

Back
Top Bottom