stocking question 55 gallon tall tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iheartmyed9

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently I have a 55 gallon tank with 5 small live plants a 16" aquarium florescent light, and coral decorations. I have 2 tuxedo guppies, 4 neon tetras, 2 Dalmatian mollies, 4 glofish and a Chinese algae eater. Any reccomendations on some extra friends for the tank? Also any fish you recommend must be sold at petsmart since its my only LFS in middle TN. Also any plant reccomendations? I'd like to finish planting out the bottom and remove all the plastic plants. Thanks for everyone's help. Cause of this site aquariums are my new hobby. My tank has gone a long way since I started here.

You may ant to look at long fin zebra danios. I personally have them in 2 diff fresh water tanks and enjoy them. The zip around the tank and are always at the top ready for food at feeding time. I have them in with angels and also in a 125 gallon semi aggressive tank and have had no probs with them.

Thanks. I wish my fish would swim at different levels. But really all they will do is swim next to whoever is in the room. It's cute tho haha. Its funny when I've gotten new additions to the tank you can tell them apart from their older tqnkmates as they will be skittish when I put my finger on the glass. The others will follow it around.

My long fins tend to stay at the top of the tank but will swim mid tank as well. And I know what ya mean. My gold severums do that all the time as do my Bolivian rams and angels. They also follow me around the room. My black ghost knife will swim between my fingers when I'm cleaning the tank. My salt water fish also tend to do the same. Makes it more fun IMO that they do that.

My whole tank does it. Ill walk in and they will be swimming at different levels , abruptly stop and follow the person in the room. They will also circle my hand when I put it in to do tank maintenance. I'm thinking maybe some yellow or blue guppies would look nice or some more glofish. Would some angels play nice in my tank? I'm looking to get a 10-20 gallon tank for a quarantine tank as I'm starting to really like what I've established here and would hate to get my lil crew sick with a infected new guy. I have a extra 55 gallon wheel style power filter laying around and want to get some use out of it. A member reccomended I get a digital thermometer too, that's been a lifesaver. I woke up one morning and my heater had it up to 88.9 degrees in there, from the bottom. So I know the top was even warmer. My heater has no temp settings so its taken some fine tuning but its stays at 77-79 degrees now.

You might want to get a few more neon tetras and glofish/zebra danios. You might have to keep an eye out for your CAE, as they can get aggressive as they get older, I've also heard that they only eat algae when they're young.

Currently I have a 55 gallon tank with 5 small live plants a 16" aquarium florescent light, and coral decorations. I have 2 tuxedo guppies, 4 neon tetras, 2 Dalmatian mollies, 4 glofish and a Chinese algae eater. Any reccomendations on some extra friends for the tank? Also any fish you recommend must be sold at petsmart since its my only LFS in middle TN. Also any plant reccomendations? I'd like to finish planting out the bottom and remove all the plastic plants. Thanks for everyone's help. Cause of this site aquariums are my new hobby. My tank has gone a long way since I started here.
Platys would be another good option. I agree that you should have at least 6 neons and at least 6 glofish since they are both schooling fish. Most any schooling fish does better with a school of at least 6.
You really have all sorts of options in a 55g. You really should keep an eye on the cae though, they turn evil when they are older.
More choices would be dwarf gouramis or an opaline gourami. Also, a school of rummy nose tetras, lemon tetras, pristells tetras, or penguin tetras. There are more options, but those are the ones that pop to mind that I have seen in chain stores.

Yea definitely want to get more tetra and glofish. Anybody have tips on vacuuming without damaging plants or shrimp?

If you are talking about a fish I'm telling you Kuhli loaches stay at the bottom and eat anything they find. They don't eat other creatures except small snails. :p

Back
Top Bottom