stocking question -- 75 gal planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
the tank its a 75 gallon planted and this is my current stock:

1 rainbow shark "jaws"
1 balloon molly
8 tiger barb
4 black skirt tetra
5 mickey mouse platy 4 blue 1m 3f and one male regular mickey
1 red wag platy 1f
2 sunburst platy 1m if
2 three spot gourami

i want to get a pair of bolivian rams, 2-4 ottos and 3-6 cory cats, the question is will that fit in my tank with the current stock??? what order should i add them to the tank and how many will you guys recommend for each kind??? and what are the best things to feed them????? and thanks =)

also you guys might be thinking that the shark will kill the bottom feeders but ive been studying the aquarium for the past few days and he never goes to the bottom and the only time he did its when the frozen blood worms sank to the sand

Personally, I would advise against rams with the rainbow shark, but other people with more experience may have different advise. I would personally just call it quits on bottom dwellers. JMO.

what about the ottos????????
I wouldn't advise it. But, I have heard some fairly mixed reviews about rainbow sharks in communities, so I couldn't tell you for sure. I still advise against it, but thats just my opinion. Otos seems to like to be on plants and things, so maybe they would be more ok than a cory would, but its up to you if you want to try that or not.

hmmm or how would u clean the back glass of the tank. i cant really reach it and i cant fit behind it, that is the main reason for the ottos

hmmm or how would u clean the back glass of the tank. i cant really reach it and i cant fit behind it, that is the main reason for the ottos
LIke I said, its up to you if you want to try it, maybe it will work since its a big tank. Personally, I would just find a way to clean the glass with a long-handled algae scrubber or a magnetic algae pad. If you rely on fish to eat algae for you in order to keep your glass clean, you always have the problem that algae eaters do not eat every type of algae, so if you end up with a different type of algae, you have to figure out how to clean the tank anyway.

absolutangel04 said:
LIke I said, its up to you if you want to try it, maybe it will work since its a big tank. Personally, I would just find a way to clean the glass with a long-handled algae scrubber or a magnetic algae pad. If you rely on fish to eat algae for you in order to keep your glass clean, you always have the problem that algae eaters do not eat every type of algae, so if you end up with a different type of algae, you have to figure out how to clean the tank anyway.

What types do they eat? Brown speck algea or solid green? Haha i dont know the names

ohhh ok i dont think i have a algae problem its just that i have algae on the back glass i dont know if its normal to have some there or not, but thx i would of thought they could take care of it, thanks for the help ill have to research more on them =)

What types do they eat? Brown speck algea or solid green? Haha i dont know the names

me neither i was always told to get plecos to get rid of glass algae, but i ditched mine cuz he ate almost one of my swords which it came back to life wit a vengeance, ok maybe not the vengeance but it grew faster and bushier :D i should of thank him instead of ditching him!!!

I don't rememeber exactly off the top of my head which kinds they eat, but all algae eaters have a limited diet. I know they don't eat blue-green and they won't eat any thats crusty.

not many fish will eat Green Spot Algae and I think the ones that do are plant eaters and will eat the plants before the algae. I find that spot dosing it with excel works wonders. my driftwood was covered in GSA for weeks and then I started Double Dosing excel and its working great, I have killed off 85% of the algae and it continues to get smaller amd smaller every day

CleverBs said:
not many fish will eat Green Spot Algae and I think the ones that do are plant eaters and will eat the plants before the algae. I find that spot dosing it with excel works wonders. my driftwood was covered in GSA for weeks and then I started Double Dosing excel and its working great, I have killed off 85% of the algae and it continues to get smaller amd smaller every day

A chemical? And just spray it on the algea? I have never heard of that method

the tank its a 75 gallon planted and this is my current stock:

1 rainbow shark "jaws"
1 balloon molly
8 tiger barb
4 black skirt tetra
5 mickey mouse platy 4 blue 1m 3f and one male regular mickey
1 red wag platy 1f
2 sunburst platy 1m if
2 three spot gourami

i want to get a pair of bolivian rams, 2-4 ottos and 3-6 cory cats, the question is will that fit in my tank with the current stock??? what order should i add them to the tank and how many will you guys recommend for each kind??? and what are the best things to feed them????? and thanks =)

also you guys might be thinking that the shark will kill the bottom feeders but ive been studying the aquarium for the past few days and he never goes to the bottom and the only time he did its when the frozen blood worms sank to the sand

What type of filtration will you be running? I think that's important to know when talking about stocking matters.

I'd have to encourage you to avoid the balloon molly and all fish that are selectively bred to be deformed. The balloon mollies have bent spines which causes them swimming issues, health problems, and shortened lifespan.

I've had issues with mollies and gouramis together. I know this isn't the case for everyone so, I'm not saying it can't work, but proceed with caution.

My rainbow shark absolutely cannot stand any labyrinth fish, such as gouramis and bettas. He harasses them endlessly.

Black skirts are schoolers so you'd want atleast 6 of those.

Rams aren't ideal tankmates for the rainbow shark, skirt tetras, or barbs. They will likely be outcompeted for food in this type of situation.

Oto cats could work. I would add atleast 3 of them and wait until the tank has matured for about 6 months before doing so.

Depending on the filtration peice, I think you could add 6 cory cats just fine.

What type of filtration will you be running? I think that's important to know when talking about stocking matters.

I'd have to encourage you to avoid the balloon molly and all fish that are selectively bred to be deformed. The balloon mollies have bent spines which causes them swimming issues, health problems, and shortened lifespan.

I've had issues with mollies and gouramis together. I know this isn't the case for everyone so, I'm not saying it can't work, but proceed with caution.

My rainbow shark absolutely cannot stand any labyrinth fish, such as gouramis and bettas. He harasses them endlessly.

Black skirts are schoolers so you'd want atleast 6 of those.

Rams aren't ideal tankmates for the rainbow shark, skirt tetras, or barbs. They will likely be outcompeted for food in this type of situation.

Oto cats could work. I would add atleast 3 of them and wait until the tank has matured for about 6 months before doing so.

Depending on the filtration peice, I think you could add 6 cory cats just fine.

well for filtration currently im running a fluval 404 canister and a uv sterilizer, the molly and platies i already had them i just had them in a different tank which i cracked while cleaning and i had more mollys but my cat got to them, the rainbow shark its dosil now since the pleco and catfish left so he has more caves for him, i started with 6 but 2 died so i got 2 more and died again and that happened like 3 times, the barbs skirt and rainbow dont mind each other and actually the shark hangs out with 2 barbs and the skirts chill with the barbs no issues yet, knock on wood

Back
Top Bottom