Stocking question for a 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devrens

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys!

This my first post, although I've been lurking for a couple of months now. The posts and resources here have really been helpful. I got into this after being given a 10 gallon tank by a family friend. I realise the size isn't ideal, but the price point was hard to beat.

I'm currently stocking a 10 gallon planted tank. Following advice I've read here I've stocked it slowly after cycling the tank.

So far the tank is stock with the following:

3x Bronze Corys
5x Harlequin Rasbora
1x Mystery Snail

The aqadvisor calculator says I'm pretty much done bioload wise, but I've seen a number of people with similarly stocked 10 gallons that also have a betta in there. I'm a little hesitant to risk the betta with my other fish, so I was thinking of trying a dwarf gourami. The problem is that stocking a dwarf gourami puts me at around 105% stocking, is that acceptable?

Or should I suck it up and enjoy what I have? :fish2:

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Devrens

As for stocking levels, it is all about how much maintenance you are willing to do. Stocking more will require larger weekly water changes which probably is not that big of a deal in 10g tank.

The bigger issue is that Dwarf Gouramis(DG) have a tremendous degree of temperment variation between individuals. Some of them are perfectly peaceful while others are just plain mean. I would instead recommend the honey gourami(Trichogaster chuna). They are nearly always peaceful and naturally beautiful.

As for stocking levels, it is all about how much maintenance you are willing to do. Stocking more will require larger weekly water changes which probably is not that big of a deal in 10g tank.

The bigger issue is that Dwarf Gouramis(DG) have a tremendous degree of temperment variation between individuals. Some of them are perfectly peaceful while others are just plain mean. I would instead recommend the honey gourami(Trichogaster chuna). They are nearly always peaceful and naturally beautiful.

I'm happy to do water changes every week for this tank as it's rather simple. Are gourami happy running solo, or are they better off with two? If I DID get two, I'd be at 120% stocking level, but if I did a weekly 50% water change would I be alright?

Is 50% too much?

Thanks again!

edit: And thanks for the tip about the honey gourami, I'll definitely go that route. :)

One gourami is definitely all you want in that size tank. They can get territorial with conspecifics(other fish of the same species)

I hate to say it, but in my opinion 10g is too small for most Cories. Bronze Cories hit 2" and are active swimmers and need floor space. Groups of 6 or more are ideal. I recommend 20Long tanks as minimum.

Pygmy Cory species, stay around an inch. You can fit a group in a 10g. There are 3 species. They aren't common, but you can find them on Aquabid and in some stores.

Corydoras pygmaeus
C hastatus
C habrosus
are all good candidates for 10g

(Same recommendations, just albino version )http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/... Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate to say it, but in my opinion 10g is too small for most Cories. Bronze Cories hit 2" and are active swimmers and need floor space. Groups of 6 or more are ideal. I recommend 20Long tanks as minimum.

Pygmy Cory species, stay around an inch. You can fit a group in a 10g. There are 3 species. They aren't common, but you can find them on Aquabid and in some stores.

Corydoras pygmaeus
C hastatus
C habrosus
are all good candidates for 10g

(Same recommendations, just albino version )http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/...g for breeding or something else. - Devrens

Plan on that bigger tank, sooner rather than later. I have had MANY freshwater tanks and in my opinion you are already overstocked. Don't rely so much on calculators. The more those fish grow the more crowded it becomes. You are asking for fish diseases to start popping up. Slow down, I know the impulse to buy more. I had a lot of fish die that way.

Plan on that bigger tank, sooner rather than later. I have had MANY freshwater tanks and in my opinion you are already overstocked. Don't rely so much on calculators. The more those fish grow the more crowded it becomes. You are asking for fish diseases to start popping up. Slow down, I know the impulse to buy more. I had a lot of fish die that way.

You bet! I've already been watching for good deals. :)

Thanks for that!

Bonus picture of my corys chilling out...
0M3ZZ2w.jpg

I understand. I'm lucky enough to have a couple of LFSs within an hour drive that carry rare fish. Plus a club member that breeds Cories.

C aeneus aka Bronze Cory are some of the hardiest Cories on the planet.

See if you have a local club. I've gotten a ton of deals thru mine.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand. I'm lucky enough to have a couple of LFSs within an hour drive that carry rare fish. Plus a club member that breeds Cories.

C aeneus aka Bronze Cory are some of the hardiest Cories on the planet.

See if you have a local club. I've gotten a ton of deals thru mine.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll do that, thanks!

If you can't resist I'd do betta over gourami. We have a LFS that puts every single betta they receive in a community tank and I've never seen a betta in "time out" for being mean. The honey gourami is a great choice but I'm also thinking bioload.

Going overstocked in a 10, especially if you're new, is hard. Water parameters change much more quickly.

Maybe go get more plants instead ... Focus on growing some teeny ones into big ones so you're ready for that bigger tank!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I think I can resist! That's why I wanted to ask instead of just winging it. :)

Watch out for plants ... They're even more addicting, and easier to justify since it's hard to overstock them!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom