Stocking Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmeredith56880

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a 55 gallon tank that's lightly planted (until the plants grow!) and I'm curious as to what fish would be good to add. The current stock is in my sig. I plan to get 10 more ghost shrimp today. I would like to get a bottom feeder and maybe a nice centerpiece. Any suggestions would be great!

I also thought about maybe a betta. But they are so unpredictable there's no clear cut way to make sure he/she would be peaceful with my other fish.

With a Betta, your Ghost Shrimp was disappear ;). My betta used to get some for a great :)

Are you saying your betta ate the ghost shrimp ? Cuz i was going to add a ghost shrimp to my betta tank to clean it up abit lol.

I has two Bettas with ghost shrimp and one gets along with the shrimp, tetras, and Cory's perfectly but the other ate his four shrimp roommates about a week after they are introduced. There doesn't seem to be a good way to tell how a Betta will react to other creatures so there's always a possibility that the shrimp will become a snack.

What about a pearl gourami as your centrepiece? I had a male and his color was lovely and he was peaceful :)

Yep. I used to buy a few every month as a treat :)

So yeah i ended up having to move 7 ghost shrimp to my betta tank for 2 days and yesterday i was doing a pwc on my 20g fw tank and changed the rocks from pebbles to larger rock( but not im thinking about switching to pool sand) anyways thats another post lol so when i was doing the betta tank water change i was adding my ghost shrimp back to my 20g tank and i could only find 5 now so i guess he ate them :( sad for me but im sure hes happy and full lol now back to petsmart to buy 20 more and last month my flowerhorn ate my other 10 ghost shrimp

If you like shrimp, get some red cherry shrimp. Since they are like $5 each, I didn't want to spend $50 to get 10 of them in my 50 gal which they still probably wouldn't stand out. So the store sold me 10 very very small ones (i mean you could hardly see them) for a couple bucks and I threw them in the tank and figured I'd never see them again. Well, there are probably a couple hundred full sized ones in there now! Sure adds a lot of color. But I have a pearl as a centerpiece and I love it.

I've been told my catfish will leave fully grown amano shrimp & yamato shrimp alone? True?

Synodictis. This is an old pic as he is a tinbit bigger

Attachments

• image-2233061889.jpg
    image-2233061889.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 52
I added Cory Catfish and they don't bother the ghost shrimp at all. Though they are quite different from other catfish species.

I am also thinking about carpeting the 55g with a grass type plant. What would be good for a 55g that grows pretty quickly? The hood came with two t8 bulbs but I'm thinking of getting T5's sometime soon (maybe today). Also what would be a good carpeting plant for a 10g? (has 2 mini flour lights)

Btw my substrate is just standard gravel....(black with some neon colors thrown in). Would this even be feasible?

Back
Top Bottom