Stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Airborne173x

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Below is my 55g tank. I believe I am just a tick below full occupancy on the tank and I wanted to ask around to confirm my suspicions and see if it's possible to add a few other fish from my hex to make room for some fancies.

Currently the tank is stocked with:

Pearl Gourami x 2
Bolivian Ram x 1
Neon Tetra x 8
Red Eye Tetra x 8
Buenos Aires Tetra x 1
Farlowella Catfish x 1
Ghost Shrimp x 12

I have 5 Zebra Danios and 6 Tetra (3 Black Neon, 3 Glowlight) that need to move soon and I'd like to put them in the 55g so I can make their current 40g hex a fancy tank and my new 40g that is cycling into a semi-ag. tank.

Below is my 55g tank. I believe I am just a tick below full occupancy on the tank and I wanted to ask around to confirm my suspicions and see if it's possible to add a few other fish from my hex to make room for some fancies.

Currently the tank is stocked with:

Pearl Gourami x 2
Bolivian Ram x 1
Neon Tetra x 8
Red Eye Tetra x 8
Buenos Aires Tetra x 1
Farlowella Catfish x 1
Ghost Shrimp x 12

I have 5 Zebra Danios and 6 Tetra (3 Black Neon, 3 Glowlight) that need to move soon and I'd like to put them in the 55g so I can make their current 40g hex a fancy tank and my new 40g that is cycling into a semi-ag. tank.

I don't think ur even close to being stocked!!!

I would add 7 buenos Aires tetras to make the school 8 like ur others.

Then when u add ur black neons and glow lights make them 8 and be done then.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bolivian ram wouldn't mind a friend either

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Bolivian ram wouldn't mind a friend either

Not a bad idea, don't know if my current one is M or F though. I guess I'll need to sex this one first!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not a bad idea, don't know if my current one is M or F though. I guess I'll need to sex this one first!

I personally can't help but people here can*

I don't think ur even close to being stocked!!!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I added some fish today. I hope the LFS didn't lead me astray. I went to a new shop that has a different selection of fish than my normal shop. I told them what I currently had and I added more fish based on what they said we could handle. I'll let you know and hopefully I am good to go! An asterisk denotes todays purchase.

55g Tank
Aquaclear 70 filter
Fluval 206 Canister

Pearl Gourami (female) x 2
Gold Gourami (female) x 2*
Blue Gourami (male) x 1*
Bolivian Ram x 1
Red Eye Tetra x 8
Neon Tetra x 8
Buenos Aries Tetra x 1
Gold Dust Molly (1 male/2 females) x 3*
Pineapple Swordtail (1 male/2 female) x 3*
Farlowella Cat x 1
Ghost Shrimp x 12

The groumai will probably cause trouble as the larger 6 ins are all the same species and are territorial. Though you did buyostly females so the aggression should be lower, but groumai that get that long is pushing is in my option, but it could work so just watch and wait, mabye tale one back.also all types of tetras need a school of 6+ so I would ale the buenos Aries tetra back, and in all reto sect, the ghost shrimp will probably be eaten

Scottyhorse, not true at all. Gourami have an interesting pecking hierarchy. One male to three females, two males with five females. Tank size restrictions aside, you can have as many females as you want, and can have one male for every two to three females. The four to one ratio suggested above is totally fine, but I would be concerned about how large regular gourami would get in a 55g. I'd stick to dwarf gourami unless you're dealing with a 90+g tank if you want that many regular gourami.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Scottyhorse, not true at all. Gourami have an interesting pecking hierarchy. One male to three females, two males with five females. Tank size restrictions aside, you can have as many females as you want, and can have one male for every two to three females. The four to one ratio suggested above is totally fine, but I would be concerned about how large regular gourami would get in a 55g. I'd stick to dwarf gourami unless you're dealing with a 90+g tank if you want that many regular gourami.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There is so much contradicting advice on this fish, it's crazy! They seem fine now but who knows about the future...

Most folks aren't really familiar with gourami and give out advice based on anecdotal evidence or what someone else told them. Do some heavy research and you'll validate my statements.

They're fine now because they're juvenile. When they mature and grow to 4+ inches, they may still be cool with each other, but they probably won't be all that "comfortable". Especially if they get to their full length.

Most folks aren't really familiar with gourami and give out advice based on anecdotal evidence or what someone else told them. Do some heavy research and you'll validate my statements.

They're fine now because they're juvenile. When they mature and grow to 4+ inches, they may still be cool with each other, but they probably won't be all that "comfortable". Especially if they get to their full length.

I appreciate your advice. I am in the same line of thinking as you are, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't wearing rose colored glasses because I wanted to keep them haha. I have a few other tanks I'm going to set up when I can afford new filtration for them. I will probably move some over when that goes down in the next month or so.

Back
Top Bottom