stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourFRESH

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 92 gallon aquarium and i am just kind of confused on stocking
i know the general rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per gallon, but if i add the full potential length of all my current fish together, it's coming up to 82.5 inches, and i still don't think it's anywhere near being stocked

here's what i currently have:
4 otocinclus
5 peppered cories
4 blue rams
2 bristlenose plecos
7 rummy nose tetras
10 cardinal tetras
2 yoyo loaches
3 zebra botias

i plan on moving the yo yo loaches to my 55 gallon, but i'm still at about 70 inches then. am i adding this up right? should i do it by their full potential length? i'm not sure because you never know how big they'll actually get because a lot of times this doesn't even reach it's full potential length. here is what i WANTED to achieve, but doesn't seem likely as it adds up to 117 inches of fish.

4 otocinclus
6 cories
7 blue rams
3 bristlenose plecos
15 rummy nose tetras
15 cardinal tetras
3 zebra botias

basically all i want to do is move my yo yo's to my 55 gallon, add another pleco, add 3 more rams, and beef up my cardinals and rummies (even though i'd like to have more than 15 of each)

is an approximate 117 inches of fish (all relatively small fish as you can tell) too much for a 92 gallon corner aquarium? there is a picture of this tank on my gallery if you'd like to look

As long as the tank is balanced with bottom, mid, and top dwellers, you can break the 1 inch per gal guideline. So many factors play into the stocking such as filtration and tank maintenance.

Fishyfanatic said:
As long as the tank is balanced with bottom, mid, and top dwellers, you can break the 1 inch per gal guideline. So many factors play into the stocking such as filtration and tank maintenance.

ah, i never thought of being ale to break the 1 inch per gallon guideline that way. now i'm not sure if i would need to modify my filtration at all with a large ammount of fish like that. i have an all glass megaflow (model 3) filtration system, and that filter is hoss! i'm pretty sure i wouldn't need to change anything but i guess we'll see...i don't really know anything about that

Back
Top Bottom